General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Summer bedding

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2024 14:15

I have Summer bedding - cotton sheets (I have a bottom and top sheet) and duvet cover, and a 4.5 tog duvet.

My Winter bedding consists of brushed cotton sheets, 'teddy' duvet covers and a 10 .5 tog duvet.

It's now June. I still have most of my Winter bedding on my bed - except for the duvet cover - that is now a cotton one.

This year is the latest I've kept my 10.5 tog duvet on my bed, I think I've been too hot once.

Has anyone managed to put a lower tog duvet on, and still remain warm, without resorting to blankets on top?

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 15 Jun 2024 14:30

No summer quilts here either. I usually use a top and bottom sheet with a light bedspread at this time but still using my 10.5 tog duvet and at times put a lightweight fleece throw on top. Then I wake up too hot and have to take it off.
I have looked at those 'teddy' covers and might get a couple for winter .
Do they wash well?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 15 Jun 2024 14:45

Our bedroom (south facing) seems to stay at the same temp whatever the weather. We've never had the radiator on since we moved in. Never had anything warmer than a 4.5 tog duvet. In fact I bought a 2.5 tog this year in case it gets really hot!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2024 15:12

JustGinnie, the 'teddy' covers wash well.

I washed mine before I used them, as they'd been in 'open' packaging, and I also wanted to make sure there wasn't too much excess fluff.
Having done that, they do leave a bit of fluff on the top sheet, but as I always put the top sheet on the same way, it doesn't affect me. - and I sleep naked!

They also dry a lot quicker than cotton duvet covers. :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Jun 2024 16:26

I have to admit I don’t like duvets. It is so difficult to find a weight that suits. I often can’t sleep when I’m away because, usually, I get too hot.

OH is the opposite. Took him years to work out that you could get thicker PJ’s ( ok - so I didn’t tell him). I’m sure he could find something to keep on his half so it is warmer but he complains if I throw off my covers onto him as ( it gets too hot’. Can’t win.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 15 Jun 2024 18:47

We have had our 4.5 tog duvet on for several weeks. Some nights it has been a bit chilly getting into bed, but it soon warms up and we are warm enough.My bedding is bamboo, so feels cool all year