General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Books.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jun 2024 15:52

Can anyone recommend a book which will make me laugh so much I might pee my pants please?

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Jun 2024 18:59

Make sure you’ve got plenty of ‘soap powder’ in before you start. ;-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jun 2024 19:15

How about watching Car Share with Peter kay. The episode with the monkey that escaped from the zoo. Guarantee that will make you laugh :-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 14 Jun 2024 22:04

Any of the Discworld novels by the late Sir Terry Pratchett.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 14 Jun 2024 22:12

You could try Wilt by Tom Sharpe. I read it years ago and found it very funny. Mind your sense of humour could be different to mine :-D

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 15 Jun 2024 05:39

I was going to give the same answer as Ginnie has. There were sequels too, I remember the Wilt Alterntive and I think there were one or two more. I embarrassed myself sitting alone on a commuter bus, then bursting into uncontrollable laughter thanks to reading Wilt!

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 15 Jun 2024 08:04

Paul O'Grady autobiographies. Outrageous and very funny. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Jun 2024 11:00

I had a lot of Tom Sharpe books. They were kept on the top shelf, as the covers were a bit risque, and my daughters were not quite teenagers.

I found out they climbed on a chair, got them down, and read them anyway!

It transpires, despite having many books suitable for their age, they always read my 'top shelf' books, as they were, apparently, more interesting :-0

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 15 Jun 2024 11:44

It depends on your sense of humour. OH loved the Wilt books. I tried one and didn't think it was funny at all!!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 15 Jun 2024 11:53

Depends on your sense of humour.

Almost any of Bill Bryson's travel books - eg - "Neither Here nor There" - though some are a bit dated now.
I remember laughing aloud while travelling alone on a train, when reading one of his books.
"Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K Jerome.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 15 Jun 2024 15:40

Everyone’s tastes differ but a book that made both my OH and me laugh out loud was Buster’s Diaries. It was supposedly written by Roy Hattersley’s dog - the one that injured a goose in one of the London parks. Remember him?