General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This has spooked me

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 2 Jun 2024 20:06

Last week I spoke to a lady on the phone, she worked at a major chain of solicitors and we were discussing a routine legal matter. There is no crime involved so no media attention.

When I looked on Facebook just now it came up with "people you may know", and this lady was first in the list.

So although I can't say I know her, I certainly know who she is. But how the hell does Facebook know there is any connection between us? It smacks of Big Brother.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Jun 2024 21:54

Just a thought, does she have a list of clients connected through her FB account? Would she have added you to that list perhaps?

Sorry I dont do FB so not sure how it works really in this case but it is a bit spooky!

Florence in the hebrides

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 3 Jun 2024 03:07

Thanks for the suggestion Florence, but I think it has to be a "no".

It is her personal page, not a business one, I am sure if it was anything to do with her she would have broken every rule in the book, very unlikely from a solicitor.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jun 2024 07:09

I find the connections via anything on the internet spooky. when I was away, as soon as I made a CC purchase in a specific area, I got suggestions of things to do in that area.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 3 Jun 2024 07:11

PatinCyprus has been looking in and asked me to pass on the following which she thinks might help

I think she used Whatsapp to contact the solicitor. Can you give her this link please to help her. If she used Whatsapp Facebook uses that info.

Thank you

Pat

https://faq.whatsapp.com/495458902617269/?locale=en_US&eea=1

I hope Pat has been able to help you :-)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jun 2024 09:13

Belle, as an aside to the OP. Please pass on my good wishes to Pat in Cyprus, I hope that she is well.

agingrocker

agingrocker Report 4 Jun 2024 01:24

Thanks Ann and LondonBelle.

The link from Patincyprus is interesting. Thank you Pat. However, a) it wasn't done with Whatsapp, and b) the phone number used was the business number, so it didn't apply here. But very interesting to note for future reference.

We do have a Google Home Mini thingy, I wondered if that had been listening to the call. But as it keeps reminding me, "I can't connect to the Internet right now!" We had a new router a couple of weeks ago, and I can't make it connect. I barely use it, but I want to connect it to stop it shouting at me every day :-D :-D :-D :-D