General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Shearing sheep

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Jul 2023 10:44

Many years ago on a wee holiday to see the rellies in Skye, there was an uncle who had over 1000 sheep. It was profitable back in the day.

My children were always interested to see the sheep being sheared. There would be the farmer plus 4 young lads earning some pocket money.

But they had electric shearers even back then to get the sheep done quickly.

Today I looked out through the binoculars across the fields and saw 2 farmers shearing their sheep(about 40) but not with electric shearers but with large scissors!!

I really didn't think anyone still used scissors anymore. I watched and saw, one farmer got a fleece off whole in one piece.

Sadly the fleeces are only worth pennies now even though the jumpers they make in Shetland with the wool cost a fortune.

Even after all these years, some farmers are still using traditional methods to shear sheep.

Florence in the hebrides

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 18 Jul 2023 12:10

Good to know some skills haven't died out - especially those which allow people to be self-sufficient and not have to rely on technology , electricity, etc.

One of my uncles was a shepherd in Ayrshire, and I remember the hand shearing from childhood holidays then.

I also remember hearing corncrakes calling at night on those holidays.
Sadly, there aren't any in Ayrshire nowadays.
I believe the western isles are where they are most common now in Britain, though only as summer visitors. Have you heard them, Florence?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 18 Jul 2023 13:45

Yes i hear them and recently saw one at the bottom of my neighbours garden. It then went through the fence and disappeared into the long grass.

When I first came here 30 years ago(different area), we had one in the back garden and it used to keep me awake all night with its calling. The numbers have indeed dwindled since then but there are a few around here.