General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Coronation.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Apr 2023 13:11

Is it an important part of being British/English or should the money be spent elsewhere, I think it is a good thing and shouldn't be stopped, although some apparently think it is a waste of time and money.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 10 Apr 2023 13:31

I must admit to not really having a great interest in the Coronation but don't think it should be stopped . We have a monarchy so it is part of the tradition. It is an awful lot of money being spent though.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 10 Apr 2023 13:40

impressive job!! but I suppose Someone has got to do it!

Island

Island Report 10 Apr 2023 14:21

70 years since the last one and another in about 20 years. Yes, definitely stop them before they get out of hand LOL.
I'm not a fan of the RF but as they say, what's the alternative? Maybe cull the numbers and cut back on the extravagance?
They are after all only in their overprivileged position because their ancestors knocked seven bells out of the opposition.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Apr 2023 15:20

So never mind the boost to trade and tourism eh!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Apr 2023 15:20

Mixed feelings tbh

Not an excited as Elizabeth coronation but was just a young teen then and just started work as a filing clerk for Unilever in Blackfriars’s London

Was going to be a bank holiday and our supervisor was shall we all meet up later and get a place on the route and stay overnight

Went home to SE London and asked mum can I ?

She was ok if you are with others and the adult

So we met up . I took a vacuum of tea and brown blanket that had been given out by the government when we were bombed in ww2

We took up a pavement place in Oxford street and boy was it a long night but the next day eventually it was policemen forming a barricade in front of us

But we saw HM in her coach and too I tried to identify our older brother who was in one of the marching RAF contingency’s

Later at home we watched a snippet on BBC news on he 12inch tv with indoor ariel

This time though I don’t have the same enthusiasm!

Think Camilla will look very unsure of herself that she often does

I have absolutely no problem with her being queen it’s just feel it was a pity how it all came about !

But then history wouldn’t have produced the next king In William

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Apr 2023 15:32

Shirley , at least you can say you’ve ‘been there and done that’.
For lots of us this will be the first chance to see a coronation live ( wasn’t old enough to even get a mug last time) and will probably not be around for the next one.

Names

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 10 Apr 2023 16:18

Names

Very true

Not really a royalist but then again as a Londoner we were very aware of the royal family especially during the war years

We just accepted we had a King and Queen and two princesses

The excitement too when Elizabeth and Philip got engaged and married

It was as it was tbh

But too that part of history is now part of my youth !

Charles has waited a long time to fulfil his destiny as no way was Elizabeth going to step aside from her path

Just hope now Charles has a few years to enjoy his birthright.
He has his long term love beside him !

Pity though the charade he went through just to provide the heir and spare !!

Caroline

Caroline Report 10 Apr 2023 16:34

I'd love to know if the cost of the whole thing equals the monies bought in for tourism etc I'd think it's close. Didn't I read somewhere this coronation will be much smaller than the previous one and as already said it's not happening every year so if you spread the costs over all the years it's nothing really?
I agree the whole RF needs paring down and I think that's already started to happen and will only carry on from what Charles has hinted. I have no issue with any Royal who really does "work" for their living Princess Ann being the hardest worker by all accounts. I'm glad to see many Royals are reusing clothes it was crazy spending so much and only using them for a few hours.
The RF don't really rule any more they're just charity figure heads but if that brings good causes to everyone attention and helps them raise money where's the harm.
I hope Canada doesn't drop them as what is the alternative the States example no thank you!!

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 10 Apr 2023 16:37

I was born in 1953 and Mum bought a Coronation mug which I now have, however one of my siblings said it was hers but she was born 12 years later and will only see the £ signs.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 11 Apr 2023 08:49

I am with Caroline.

Trying now to imagine someone like Bojo, Trump, Tony Blair or Liz Truss as our Head - and it doesn’t bear thinking about, elected or not. :-0

Linda

Linda Report 11 Apr 2023 10:05

I had just turn three when the Queen was crowned I just remember the parties and the races in the village and love the royals so my eye will on the tv throughout I would rather have royalty then a president so I don’t think it matters how much it costs

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Apr 2023 13:17

As someone else said, think about the boost to tourism and all the companies making souvenirs etc, hospitality...The economy will be thankful for the boost and people in general will get extra income.

A coronation is part of our tradition and history and doesnt happen very often and this occasion is slimmed down to reduce costs as well.

Think of all the lavish weddings we have, no expenses spared for the big day, caterers, dressmakers, venue etc and this occasion is really no different is it.

I hope we always have a king or queen, the thought of a president is just not we do is it!

And if anyone isnt interested in it, then they can decide to watch something else or switch the tv off cant they.

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Apr 2023 14:29

:-D :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 11 Apr 2023 17:45

To be honest, the cost will be nothing compared to the money lost during Covid. :-|

"The estimated loss to fraud and error across all Covid 19 response measures is not known but is expected to be at least £15 billion across the schemes and loans implemented by HM Revenue & Customs, the Department for Work & Pensions and the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy.23 Feb 2022"

Then there's the current PM, using £500,000 worth of private jets in a few weeks.
Obviously First Class isn't good enough for him!!

I also think Charles will be a good king.