General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I think I missed it.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Nov 2022 00:42

My vocation that is, I seem to have the knack of helping people through their bereavement and/or sad part of their life, I just wonder who will be there for me when the the comes. :-(

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Nov 2022 08:16

Hopefully if/when it happens there will be people there for you who you would never have guessed; as I found in January 2021.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 8 Nov 2022 08:16

I am guessing that you are a bereavement counsellor, ZZzzz? If not, why not? <3

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Nov 2022 13:11

I would agree with Ann.

The number of people who offered help, kind words or a welcome, when OH died was heartening.
Sometimes just being there for someone is what is needed, so that they can talk if they want to or just enjoy having company.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Nov 2022 14:18

I found it was very healing for many family members to give lovely memories of my hubby

Even now it’s we remember him and when this happened!

Hubby was a very insular man because he had many health problems as a child and spent lots of time with his maternal grandparents

But too I knew them

I did know his background and absolutely loved his mum and dad and two younger siblings

His dad though was abandoned by his mum in c1906 and put in a Birmingham children's home

Dad was very hurt that he was abandoned

Wish I found his background for him before he passed

His dad was older than his mum and married when he cavorted with his mum and set her up in a home with their children in harbourne Birmingham

Dad knew he had a sister Maud but was very bitter he was abandoned

Very sad especially as I found his dad and his death and leaving his estate to a niece

He conveniently forgot his children

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 8 Nov 2022 14:46

We lost hubby’s sister earlier this year too

We were very close

She would babysit our daughter in the late 1950, s so we could get out for a cinema visit

Our daughter was a bridesmaid when she married in 1969

She never had children but would absolutely loved to be a mum

She passed this year and left her estate to her nieces and nephew
I know her family loved her to bits and would have been over the moon if she had children

But it wasn’t to be

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Nov 2022 15:33

On this occasion it is my best friends husband that has died and it is in America, he is American and she married him and has been living out there since the 1970s.

Long story but our respective families have disowned us because they don't approve of how we live and we are on a council estate.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Nov 2022 16:34

How things change.
Growing up the local council estates ( houses) were quite respectable as many of the occupants had been placed there after the war as they had lost their homes. The ones nearest where I lived now go on the market for half a million.
It was also interesting to go to some friends houses and realise they had been built to the same design and yet were all privately owned.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Nov 2022 16:44

We all grew up on council estates, hubby and I are the only ones that bought our council house and didn't move to a private estate, it's a house and lived in not a status symbol.