General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Service Records GRO

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 4 Nov 2022 19:26

Service records are now all available to be applied for online.

You can apply for records if they were in the Royal Navy (including Royal Marines), British Army, Royal Air Force (RAF) or Home Guard.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 4 Nov 2022 23:50

Thank you, Mr M XXX

Inky1

Inky1 Report 5 Nov 2022 12:25

At £30 each - probably plus the cost of obtaining the death certificate - it's not cheap.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Nov 2022 12:46

It's been the same price for many years, for postal applications.

So, in effect, cheaper now than it used to be!

ADDED:
They're from the MOD, not the GRO as stated in the thread title.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Nov 2022 15:05

It also says it might take up to a year to get them!

Two points which might help some people -

If your ancestor was an officer in the RN, the records at MOD are minimal because everything is handed to the officer when he/she leaves the Service.

It is worth looking to see if the particular regiment has an archive of its own. OH's great-uncle was in the Coldstream Guards and we got a lot of information from them directly. They didn't want things like death certs, the cost was a lot less than £30 and we received the information in about a fortnight. Presumably they aren't as busy as MOD.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 5 Nov 2022 16:07

There's wartime records free on An until 8th Nov, I was idly looking for something, not expecting to see the record, and I got a number of military records plus various others, 1939, ER's etc.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Nov 2022 17:15

It only took two months for my father's WW2 record to arrive - but that was back in 2015.

I know that the advice we have routinely given to people on these boards over the years has been that they will take "several" months to arrive.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Nov 2022 23:06

I found my g grandad's WWI records on Find My Past, about 10 years ago.