General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Well I have just.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Nov 2022 14:36

Seen the bottom of the ironing basket again, doesn't happen very often so I thought I would share it with you all.
How are you all and have there been any strong wind or heavy rain where ever you are?

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 2 Nov 2022 14:55

Way down here in the west of Cornwall it's blowing a gale and heavy rain on and off. It was dry this morning so I put some washing out - eventually gave up after I'd picked most of it up twice so it's now hanging up in the utility room as I'm too stingy to tumble it yet!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 2 Nov 2022 15:15

Sounds like our weather is the same as yours Sue. Glad it was not like this when we were down in Cornwall.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Nov 2022 15:35

Absolutely bucketing down with stormy gale force winds!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Nov 2022 16:12

Me and ironing aren’t friends

I try to wash clothes ,duvets etc that don’t need ironing

Standing joke in the family that Nan doesn’t do ironing but I have done my fair share over the years even when I worked full time ,

Hubby is his later years liked check shirts and they were dried on the line by the bottom and necks evened out
Hubby was they don’t need ironing cos I wear a jumper over them anyway!

Tbh I am a bit peeved cos family think I don’t iron cos I do if necessary :-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Nov 2022 16:21

Like you, Shirley, I have an aversion to the ironing board!!
One of the bonuses of winter is that jumpers, unlike blouses, don't have to be ironed :-D

My sister irons her sheets, duvet covers and towels :-S
I've never seen the need.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Nov 2022 16:36

Maggie
Me too!

If the sheet dries ok it will stretch out on the mattress and won’t look creased so why bother

I wash duvets folded and most times they come out the wash with very little crease

They dry better indoors with no crease

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Nov 2022 17:01

I must lead a sad life then :-D

I have always ironed everything including socks and tights

Florence in the hebrides

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Nov 2022 17:07

Florence, save electricity, time and effort and turn over a new leaf, ....if you can break an old habit. ;-)

I can't remember when I last ironed anything.!
.... but I am very fussy about how I wash and dry things, so that they just need a shake.
If we wear formal clothes, I would of course make sure they were suitably smart.

Island

Island Report 2 Nov 2022 17:24

Same her Gwyn, except I'm not fussy LOL Creases soon drop out when clothes are worn.
I don't think I've ever ironed sheets and duvet covers. What's the point? :-S

Socks and tights Florence? :-0 you need help girl LOLOL :-D

String winds and heavy buckets here :-0 Curtains drawn by 5pm too :-0

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Nov 2022 17:46

If you have spare sheets and duvet covers then put the newly washed (and dried) ones at the bottom of the pile. The weight of the others will press them.

I've never roned undies and would have thought tights would melt onto the iron.

In the winter I woud only iron shirt collars and part of the fronts because, as Shirley said, you can't see the creases under the jumper.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Nov 2022 18:20

When I used to wear tights, I used a low heat to press each leg, so they folded up and laid flat in the drawer in rows.

I have a system in the undies drawer. All knickers are folded then rolled. 2 rows on each side of the small drawer. Clean ones go the back and always take from the front. That way they are all evenly used.

Just love seeing a neatly ironed duvet and valence sheet.

At least if I was rushed to hospital, all my drawers are neatly laid out, all ironed etc and someone could find things easily for me. Would absolutely hate a drawer with all mixed-up undies and tights all creased up.

Make you laugh at this too....all my knickers are colour coordinated :-D :-D :-D
And my bras too. Mostly matching sets as i cannot think of wearing say a white bra and pink knickers...noooo that would never look right. :-D :-D

Florence in the hebrides ;-)

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Nov 2022 18:30

Not to do with ironing but Florence it would drive you nuts, did you know that you can put the bottom sheet, quilt cover and a pillow case all in one pillowcase to store in the airing cupboard?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Nov 2022 19:04

Nooo not mine. I have a super Kingsize duvet cover, a Kingsize fully fitted valence sheet and it would be very squashed and creased in a pillow case lol

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2022 21:16

I wonder if it is easier to dry a string vest in a string wind? :-D

Island 2 Nov 2022 17:24)

Island

Island Report 2 Nov 2022 21:51

LOL @ Allan - took me a while to twig but thank you for reading my post LOL
:-D :-D :-D

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2022 22:34

I frequently read the various posts but do not always leave a comment.

Mind you, some of the earlier posts on this thread relating to underwear set my pulse racing and my heart to start palpitating....not good for the health of a man of my advancing years ;-) :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Nov 2022 23:20

Oops Allan sorry about that. Hope your BP has returned to normal :-D :-D :-D ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 2 Nov 2022 23:23

All back to normal, Florence :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Nov 2022 14:09

I don't think I'll ever get to the bottom of my ironing basket. I tend to hand things straight onto clothes hangers so they always seem good to wear without ironing to me. I am not fussy!

My OH irons his own things - he was always pernickety about his shirts and I try to catch him when is in the middle of doing any so he'll do anything I think needs an iron run over it. Like my Mum, though, he thinks ironing is relaxing. :-0