General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Caught out again!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 26 Oct 2022 12:40

I think I must be getting old! I found online what I thought was the perfect xmas present for my son who is an avid gamer.

It was a single duvet with a controller on and matching pillowcase. It described it as ultra soft, luxury, high quality bedding. With P & P it was £31.00. I though it must be like a fleecy material and would be nice and cosy for the winter.

I was checking on Amazon to see when it would arrive when I realised to my annoyance it was coming from China argggghhhhhh!!!

How on earth did I miss the seller's details as the name was all in Chinese? Honestly, you think I would have learnt my lesson by now but as it was on Amazon, I didn't give it a second thought that it was actually coming from China.

Anyway, the Postman has just delivered it...whoohooo but when I picked up the small parcel it was sooo light and a single duvet is normally much heavier.

I opened it up and there in a zipped bag was the cheapest, shoddiest duvet I have ever seen. It was made of nylon; hence it was light. No label inside or the pillowcase with washing instructions etc which I thought strange. But then if it was made in a sweat shop factory there wouldn't be any checks, so no labels.

But at least I was able to print off a return label from Amazon with free postage to return it and should get my money back in a few days.

Incidentally, the return address is in Southall, Middlesex! Says it all as I used to know that area in the 80's.

Thank goodness I didn't have to return it abroad and pay for it. I can only think, I had a senior moment and seeing the goods for a fair price took priority over looking more closely at the finer details.

Florence in the Hebrides

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 26 Oct 2022 15:34

Think we have all been there and done that , I know I have ordered from Amazon and not realised the item was from China, Mine was only a Santa brooch for a couple of pounds though and was ok when it arrived. .Good that you could return it free though.

Ginnie

Caroline

Caroline Report 27 Oct 2022 11:05

Lots of things on Amazon are from China.
Could you leave a review so others don't get caught out?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 27 Oct 2022 12:46

Yes i will once i get my money back Caroline