General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Update on where I am now

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Oct 2022 12:15

Soo saw the oncologist in sept and the node with the cancer hasn’t changed much or spread
He was ok we can think now of a treatment plan
1 go ahead with original radiotherapy plan but is is necessary cos all stomach nodes are still clear

2 refer you to another team who do targeted sabr radiotherapy but your node is near the kidney track and your function below the norm but not a problem but targeted radiotherapy can affect it

3 new chemo drugs now available but we don’t have them and the two part chemo has a secondary drug that hasn’t been proved to target your cancer

So opted for nos 2 and was being referred

Five weeks later and two phoncalls on what the heck is going on cos absolutely no feedback I finally got a call from the macmillan nurse to say the new team had rejected me for the targeted radiotherapy as it’s too near the tube and will cause bowel problems!
Now i was told it was a possibilities to cause kidney problems !

My oncologist is on holiday ,back next week and wil be told I have been told and he will want to see me to discuss

To say I,m disappointed it’s an understatement but if they don’t want to cause me different problems then I understand

I feel really well .am getting around and doing my own housework ,been out to dentist for treatment and had my annual eye test which cost me new lenses

My hair has grown and now white and tight curls which everyone says love it

Seems now it’s get on with living and don’t worry about the future

We don’t live forever so when it’s my allotted time then so be it

My mum was always we are born ,we die , it’s what we do in the meantime
She was also what’s meant to be will be
:-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Oct 2022 12:23

Good to know that you are feeling really well and are able to get out and about and do what you want to at home too.

It is the 'in limbo' bit that gets to one's mental well-being, so I can imagine your frustration when you aren't given clear information.
Hopefully a chat with your oncologist will clarify a way forward.

In the meantime, yes, get on with living :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 25 Oct 2022 12:32

Yes I can only ditto what Gwyn in Kent has said and wish you healing hugs xx.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 25 Oct 2022 13:05

Hopefully you will be able to plan a way forward when your oncologist comes back

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Oct 2022 13:14

I really hope so cos even at .85 I,m a young 85

Still driving safely. Still getting about

I don’t look 85 not that that’s a criteria

My body may be but mentally nooo !

If my sacroiliac joint wasn’t playing up then very much active but it’s been a problem for 20 plus years so not connected to my current healthy issues

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 25 Oct 2022 13:17

All the best Shirley and I agree with what your mom said. <3

Von

Von Report 25 Oct 2022 13:46

All the very best Shirley <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Oct 2022 14:15

Shirley, so glad to hear you are feeling really well. my dad is 85 this Saturday and Hes arranged his own party, formed a band (Hes a professional drummer) and will be having the time of his life. Hes had prostate cancer now for 3 years but so far, the injections have worked, and it hasn't spread to his bones. So yes, live life to the full and enjoy every moment. None of us know when our time is up!

I live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself.

I hope you get some answers from your oncologist when you get to discuss things.

Big hugs to you <3

Florence in the Hebrides

Annx

Annx Report 25 Oct 2022 14:21

Yes it must be frustrating Shirley, having a plan, then not having a plan, but chatting to your oncologist will help see the way forward.

It's brilliant you are feeling well and are able to be so independent and enjoy yourself, so keep doing more of that! Keeping busy will help free your mind too.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Oct 2022 14:33

Thanks folks

It’s frustrating not knowing where you are but then feeling well is calming

My daughter is mum just you are well so just go along and do what you want to do and poo to the future !

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Oct 2022 15:31

Brilliant that you are doing se well Shirley. Once you have chatted to the oncologist that will be off your mind and you can continue what you are doing, getting on with life. you have a great attitude, many of us could well learn a lot from you. <3

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 25 Oct 2022 16:11

Shirley, I second all that AnninGlos said. Keep that positive attitude and enjoy life. My very best wishes to you <3