General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Banks Family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Anne

Anne Report 22 Oct 2022 06:48

Looking for any information on the possible father of my mother Annie Banks. Her mother was Joyce Martha Banks worked at Hazel Mill Accrington Lancs. Her address was 44 Chapel Street Accrington Lancs when Annie was born in 1918 and as far as I can find 1921 Census. No father on birth cert, but on the 1921 Census it states both parents still alive. Hit a brick wall .Open to suggestions but cant access record offices in person in England as I live overseas.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 22 Oct 2022 07:44

Welcome to the boards.

There is no way of finding out who the father is unless someone in the family knows.

DNA testing may be the answer to leading you to the right family but may not be able to tell you who the father is.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Oct 2022 08:34

I see from the 1921 census that Joyce Martha was born in Ironbridge, Shropshire and so was Annie's brother, George. There is a possibility that Annie could have been conceived in Ironbridge and Joyce then moved to Lancashire *this is only a theory).

As already said by nameslessone your best bet would be a DNA test as no one other than Joyce would know who the father was unless she told someone in the family.

EDIT - my theory about Ironbridge is probably wrong as going by the 1901 census the family were already in Lancashire by the time Joyce was 6 years old. Perhaps when she got pregnant with her son George she was sent back to Ironbridge to have the baby.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Oct 2022 12:03

So that was her home address when she has the baby

1921 Census Of England & Wales
44 Chapel Street, Accrington, Lancashire, England
Household members (4 people)

First name(s) Last name Relationship to head Sex Birth year Age in years Birth place Occupation Employer
Martha Banks Head Female 1895 26 Ironbridge, Shropshire, England Ring Winder Cotton Hazel Mill Co Acre Haslingden Cotton Manufactures
George Banks Son Male 1915 5 Ironbridge, Shropshire, England School -
Annie Banks Daughter Female 1918 3 Accrington, Lancashire, England - -
Anne Uity Lodger Female 1894 27 Church, Lancashire, England Ring Winder (Cotton) Out Of Work Hazel Mill Co Acre Haslingden Cotton Manufactures

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Oct 2022 12:08

Births Sep 1915
Banks George Banks Madeley 6a 95

Births Sep 1918
Banks Annie Banks Haslingden 8e 146

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 22 Oct 2022 12:12

Think DNA is the way to go tbh

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 22 Oct 2022 12:34

Not helping re Annie's father, but -

Searching the 1921 census without a sub,
Annie is said to be with George 1915, Martha 1895, and also James Marshall Banks 1911 (mmn Jones).

BANKS, JAMES MARSHALL mmn JONES
GRO Reference: 1911 D Quarter in HASLINGDEN Volume 08E Page 230

Shirley's post of the 1921 entry doesn't include him. Is that a mistake in the FMP transcription?

"Anne Uity" sounds like a joke/pun - but I see her name was Vity or Vitey.
Looking her up separately on 1921 census without a sub, she's said to be with Martha, George, and one other, presumably Annie 1918 - so there's a mistake in transcription somewhere.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Oct 2022 14:17

ArgyllGran - The 1921 record for James Marshall Banks you mention is for a different family. This is the transcription of the record:-

1921 Census Of England & Wales
Chapel Court 3 Black Abbey Street, Accrington, Lancashire, England

George Banks Head Male 1880 41 Great Harwood, Lancashire, England Foundry Labourer Howard & Bullough Textile Machinist Works
Annie Banks Wife Female 1890 30 Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire, England Padder F Steners Company Dye Works
James Marshall Banks Son Male 1911 9 Accrington, Lancashire, England - -
Nellie Banks Daughter Female 1913 8 Accrington, Lancashire, England -

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Oct 2022 14:19

The birth of Annie Vity (transcribed as Uity) although not connected to the family but just a lodger):-

First name(s) Annie May
Country England
Last name Vity
Volume 8E
Birth quarter 2
Page 146
Birth year 1894
Record set England & Wales Births 1837-2006
Mother's maiden name -
Category Birth, Marriage, Death & Parish Records
District Haslingden
Subcategory Civil Births