General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Council Tax Deductions

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Oct 2022 19:53

In September, then yesterday, I received letters about my apparently unpaid Council Tax.
I'm sure I had a direct debit, and when I looked, I'd actually applied for a deduction in June, in preparation for my retirement. This worked, until August.
So, I re-applied.

When I had to write 'further reasons' for a deduction, I'm afraid I pointed out that from November 2021 until February 2022, I'd not had the use of my lounge, hall, spare bedroom, or most of my bedroom, due to the Council's lax and illegal non-action on asbestos tiles.
I pointed out that, for this time, I'd been breathing in asbestos dust and mould spores, whilst paying full rent while I was working and having 14% taken off my Universal Credit (spare room subsidy ), when I wasn't, for room I couldn't use, due to it being full of stuff from my lounge - which I'd had to empty for the floor to be done. I'd been living in a house that, according to an act of 2019 was 'uninhabitable' on 3 counts.

I then suggested they contact Winchester City Council Housing, or my local MP for further details :-D

Then I wrote : I'm a pensioner - do I get a reduction? :-D :-D

The reason I did this was because I sent in 3 official complaints to the Council about the place, one in November '21, one in September '22 and one a couple of weeks ago.
The last one was pointing out their own policies that they'd ignored, and the law(s) they'd broken.

Finally they responded, with an offer of a 'goodwill' payment.
The letter had the September reference number, mentioned September, and the text was about my September complaint (about the time it had taken). Just to be sure, I asked - it was for the October complaint - where they'd actually broken the law.

I'm not happy about this obviously ambiguous letter, and refused their 'goodwill'
payment, but did thank them for the evidence, in writing, admitting they were at fault.
How much did they offer me? £365. A weeks minimum pay!
Not even a month's rent!!

I lost a third of that amount, when i deferred starting a job, as one of their workmen was due to come around and board the ceiling. He turned up, and said he needed an electrician and went. He returned 13 days later!!!!

I've also contacted my (useless) MP, and the Ombudsman.

I just don't care any more! (in a good way)
:-D :-D :-D :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 19 Oct 2022 20:28

Go for it Maggie don't stop until it's all settled. :-D