General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

At the supermarket.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Oct 2022 16:02

Today and bought the usual things plus a few extras, and the bill was £20-30 less than normal, we think they may have reduced their prices because or years they have had the monopoly, now a new supermarket is being built very very close and we will be going to the new one me thinks some staff will go there too. :-D :-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 19 Oct 2022 16:24

I live on my own and wonder why my shop isn’t less than when I was buying for two plus animals

I still do the weekly shop online and opt for a saver delivery slot at £3 from sainsbury but even then it £80 plus each week

When the shopping is delivered it’s wow how did this small delivery cost so much

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 19 Oct 2022 17:44

Ours was £82 this week for the 2 of us.

Tawny

Tawny Report 20 Oct 2022 05:20

This week so far I have spent £71 in Sainsburys and £67 in CostCo for two of us and two cats. That does include energy drink and crisps for Mr Owl’s night trunking shifts in an HGV.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Oct 2022 11:38

There are 2 of us and I guess when I do an online shop roughly every 2 weeks its about £90 so £45 a week.

However, I don't eat meat, I have no pets. I buy in bulk my toilet rolls and kitchen rolls online as got a real bargain.

I don't buy many crisps, biscuits etc and make lots of soup and curries which last for 2 days or meals in the freezer.I do buy bags of pasta for 40p and buy several so I have a small stock in the cupboard.
I think you just have to look for bargains and offers and in the reduced section buy wonky veg as perfectly fine and other veg makes great soup even past the sell by date.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 20 Oct 2022 12:15

Last year, I looked up how much the average grocery bill for a single person was/should be - it was £25!
I'm not sure if they factored loo roll, kitchen towels, and laundry products into this, but with a cat, mine was more like £35, without loo roll etc.

It's a lot more than that now!!!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Oct 2022 12:26

My Tesco's online shop is about £50 a week (for 2 of us) but as that includes a couple of bottles of OH's red wine the actual food shop is about £35 - £40.

I also go to the Coop once a week to buy fresh veg and fruit, so that I can choose my own, and anything else that Tesco's didn't have. That comes to about £15, so grand weekly total is about £50 - £55.

I agree with Florence. I rarely buy cakes, biscuits or expensive cuts of meat. I don't have a freezer, so the only frozen food I buy is ice cream and sometimes frozen peas. I usually buy the supermarket brand and I only get what I know we will eat, so there is very little waste.

I have noticed though, that prices are going up - the worst so far is cheese, which has gone up 20% in the last month! :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 20 Oct 2022 15:14

Andysmum, see the co-ops own ice cream, for a 2lt box it's so cheap compared to the big brands but it really is lovely. I think the last time i bought it was about £1.20 whereas others were nearly £3!

And yes, cheese is my staple food and I have noticed the price rise. In Tesco, a brand called Creamfields sell cheddar, tubs of soft cheese and yoghurts and really are so much cheaper than known brands. A tub of Philly cream cheese is over £2.00 but the Creamfields was around 70p.The taste is just as good and I add some black pepper and a squirt of garlic puree, job done.

But extras like biscuits and cakes are smaller and so expensive hence we don't buy many. If a friend is coming for coffee, I make my own sponges or oven scones.

Maggie, I agree shopping isn't just food, its household too and toiletries and that takes 1/2 the bill up sometimes. Deodorant per can, oh my! Some are nearly £3 and don't last that long. Cleaning products too add extra.

Florence in the Hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Oct 2022 15:26

Yes, the Coop's own ice cream is very good. At the moment we have Neapolitan, but Sticky Toffee Pudding goes down well too!

Talking of supermarkets, we used to have a Waitrose (now replaced by Morrisons) which some people used because of the name! I rarely went in, but I remember being horrified when I saw that a tin of Heinz baked beans cost 50p more than it did at the Coop. :-0