General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

weather forecast?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Island

Island Report 14 Oct 2022 17:25

just now, 17.21, my laptop displayed 'sunset coming/ :-0

Well that saves me glancing through the window or actually knowing.

:-\

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Oct 2022 18:16

:-D :-D

Von

Von Report 14 Oct 2022 18:18

~~~~~~~ to Island

Usually happens at this time of the day ;-) ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 14 Oct 2022 22:09

OH, and many radio presenters, always refer to the 'weather radar' when talking about the possibility of rain ie the radar is clear, or, there is a bank of rain moving in and it will
be likely to rain after lunch.

The other day we had quite a heavy downpour and OH said 'That wasn't shown on the radar', almost as if to say that the rain shouldn't be there.

All I said was, 'Look out of the window. The cloud has been building up for the last hour' :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Oct 2022 23:27

I never 'allow' websites to know where I am, so the weather indicator is rarely right.
Currently, I apparently live in Surrey. (wonders what I was looking at for the PC to assume this)
I tried to add a new email address last week - British Gas won't let me use 'my' address, as I had a previous account with them with this email address.

Anyway, i then received a warning email - apparently 'someone' from Normandy, Surrey had been trying to add a new address :-D :-D :-D
I'd never heard of the place - but I knew it was me.

I then tried to inform British Gas of my new email address - set up just for them - and there's now no bl**dy email address for contacting British Gas - but I can wait for an hour or more for them to answer the phone! (no I can't)

I won't be changing my name on here to 'MaggieNormandySurrey :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Oct 2022 09:59

I don’t know why but I always expect to look out of the window every morning to a bright, sunny, dry, warm day!

Today it is bright, sunny, wet and chilly. When I opened the blinds the wetness surprised me!

It’s not like we expect that sort of weather at this time of year is it? ;-)

I am always optimistic! :-D

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Oct 2022 11:26

Always good to be optimistic Joy :-D

I'm reminded that tonight 15 / 16 is the anniversary of the 1987 hurricane, that wasn't going to happen.

Anyone have memories of that night?

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Oct 2022 12:13

Oh Gwyn, I was in Wadhurst that night, staying with a friend on a farm. Was an awful night and all we could hear was the cracking of the fir trees in the garden and surrounds.

In the morning, the lawn had become a forest and all the branches ripped off had embedded into the lawn. Power went off at 4am.

I was stuck there for 5 days until the farmers came with their chainsaws to cut the trees blocking the lane where I was staying.
Telephone line worked briefly long enough to tell my mum I was ok and she said," what storm, never heard a thing." lol

Strange thing I remember that at midnight it was 21 degrees and very warm. Many leaves had turned brown like wind burn.

I actually have the official book that was written. Sevenoaks became 1 oak very sad that.

Florence in the hebrides

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Oct 2022 12:14

BTW my PC shows a full sun and 14 degrees :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Apparently I am Florence in Coventry :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Oct 2022 22:46

The day after the 1987 hurricane, i was walking the girls to school, and saw a huge sign in a field - 'Has anyone seen our shed?'

It was back, 2 days later :-D :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Oct 2022 23:42

:-D :-D :-D :-D@ Maggie

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 16 Oct 2022 09:40

I lived in Bournemouth in 1987, right on the coast in a flat that was part of a converted hotel. The building was 4 blocks long, 4 storeys high and west facing, I swear I felt it shake that night! Trees down everywhere and, driving to work, saw the whole gable end of a house in the garden.

Island

Island Report 16 Oct 2022 13:25

I remember the '87 hurricane, well the aftermath because I slept through it :-D

I was woken by the phone shortly before 8am - it was going to be a nuisance call or bad news at that time of day.
It was mother. 'are you alright'
'um, yes, are you? I was mentally packing a bag and organising cover as I expected to hear that dad had been rushed to hospital.
I can't really remember much more other than 'it said' - 'it' being the tele and something about me wandering around in dark corridors if there had been a power cut :-0
Vivid imagination my mother.
I told her she'd woken me up, I was fine, knew nothing about it being windy and was dad ok?
'oh he's alright' she said, puzzled that I should ask.
:-S :-S :-S

I looked out of the window, no fallen trees or debris.
Put 'it' on...... Crikey :-0
We went to Hampstead Heath at the weekend, a lot of fallen trees.
Pretty spectacular to see the roots in the air and the tops easily viewable.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Oct 2022 15:42

Island :-D :-D :-D :-D same as my mum bless her!

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Oct 2022 17:34

There's a programme about it tonight on Channel 5 at 9pm.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Oct 2022 18:30

Thank you ArgyllGran.

I hadn't noticed that was on... now set to record. :-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Oct 2022 17:14

Hmmmm currently, I have a cloud with a red dot underneath.....

Island

Island Report 17 Oct 2022 17:33

I sometimes get that Bob. No idea what it means.

Florence, I'm still trying to fathom the logic LOL