General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

£400 from the government

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Oct 2022 14:50

As we all know, we are all to receive £400 from the government to assist with our gas/electric bills. However, I had cause to ring my electric company last week as my Smart meter Display Unit isn't working and I had still not received a replacement. Turned out they didn't have any in stock and will have to wait a bit longer.

Whilst I was on the tel, I asked how this £400 scheme would work and here's what they said.
If you pay by d/d and pay more than £66 per month, then as soon as your usual d/d has cleared, you will be refunded the £66 direct to the account you pay your d/d from.
Ok all clear, but then I said, but the whole idea was to give you extra on your account so if you need to put on the heating, you know you have a bit extra to pay for it. By refunding it back to your bank account means it will be spent probably on something else and then people will get into debt with their utility account?

The woman agreed with me. So why on earth have the government decided this is how it will work? If you put the heating on more, you will only end up having to increase your d/d wont you?

Florence in the hebrides :-S

Edit: Not sure how it works if you have a top up key or different way of paying

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 5 Oct 2022 15:06

Maybe I'm having a senior moment but at the moment I don't understand that. I'll need to read it a couple more times :-)

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Oct 2022 15:41

This explains it fairly well.

Details set out today will ensure the scheme is delivered to as many domestic electricity customers as possible over the winter, regardless of which supplier they use or their choice of payment method.

Direct Debit customers will receive the Energy Bill discount automatically as a deduction to the monthly Direct Debit amount collected, or as a refund to the customer’s bank account following Direct Debit collection during each month of delivery.

Standard credit customers and payment card customers will see the Energy Bill discount automatically applied as a credit to standard credit customers’ accounts in the first week of each month of EBSS delivery, with the credit appearing as it would if the customer had made a payment.

Smart prepayment meter customers will see the Energy Bill discount credited directly to their smart prepayment meters in the first week of each month of delivery
traditional prepayment meter customers will be provided with redeemable EBSS Energy Bill discount vouchers or Special Action Messages (SAMs) from the first week of each month, issued via SMS text, email or post. Customers will need to redeem these at their usual top-up point

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 5 Oct 2022 18:26

I have received a discount on my DD this month.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Oct 2022 20:15

Yes, you received a discount Ann but surely the whole point was to give everyone the extra in their electricity account along with your normal d/d, that way you will have extra and so can afford to put the heating on and not worry as much this winter?

Lyndi

Lyndi Report 5 Oct 2022 21:32

It doesn't state it's to give us extra, it just states it's a discount on our energy bills.

My direct debit has gone up, along with most peoples, to cover the increase but that's ok as I know I will get the discount back every month (after I have paid up!)

I will have the £200 in December to cover any extra ;-)

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 Oct 2022 21:46

I think I shall put my 'rebate' into premium bonds.
Easy to transfer back, and not sat in my bank account shouting 'spend me'!! :-D

...then there's the potential of winning, ooh, about £25.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Oct 2022 23:13

Yes, Lyndi exactly, your d/d has increased, and this will offset the d/d increase.Mine hasnt but if I start putting the heating on and my bill increases, the £66 should stay on my account to offset my bill and I wouldnt need to increase my d/d.

Sorry, maybe i,m not explaining it very well !

I just think the rebate should stay on your electricity account so you wouldnt worry about putting the heating on more when its really cold later on.

Florence in the hebrides