General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

It's a Funny time

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 25 Sep 2022 23:16

Last Thursday Australia held a National Day of Mourning in Remembrance of the Queen.

Today, in Western Australia, we have another holiday.......to celebrate the Queen's birthday :-S

Florence61

Florence61 Report 25 Sep 2022 23:18

Surely not Allan???? :-S :-S :-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Sep 2022 23:43

Guess they haven't had time to cancel it.

We can beat you though .........

...... Canada has a holiday on the Monday closest to May 24th celebrating Queen VICTORIA's birthday :-D

Certain areas still actually do what they did back then ........... New Westminster, near Vancouver and once known as the Royal City, hold an Anvil Chorus on that day.

Supposedly they didn't have enough guns or powder for the gun salute, so the Royal Engineers of using 2 anvils. Powder on the lower one, the upper one inverted over that, and then the powder ignited.

Allan

Allan Report 25 Sep 2022 23:49

Definitely, Florence

Not quite the Anvil Chorus that I know, Sylvia :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8aHsJdMEMY

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Sep 2022 03:31

:-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 26 Sep 2022 11:30

That’s a rousing anthem, Allan. I’ve not heard it for ages but you’ve brought to mind my maternal grandparents, particularly my Grandad whose two best listens and watches were opera and cricket. Often, on an afternoon when Grandad was glued to radio or telly, my Gran would retreat into the sitting room to play her piano - which we were rarely allowed to touch.

Happy memories so thank you, Allan. <3 <3

Allan

Allan Report 26 Sep 2022 22:01

Funnily enough the Perth Royal Show started this week to coincide with the school holidays.

The local six o'clock news weather bulletin was broadcast from there and the weather presenter actually referred to the 'King's Birthday Holiday'

I do hope that some kindly senior producer took her to one side and gently explained that it is not always expedient to be politically correct :-D :-D

JoyLouise, my pleasure :-)