General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Making do

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Aug 2022 04:06

W usually have a roast, potatoes and veggies for Sunday dinner, but it is so hot here that I suggested that I would make a Beef Stir Fry.

OH was happy about that, as it would be cooler in the kitchen, and he wouldn't have to cook as usual.

But then I looked in the fridge for veggies. Hmmmmmmmm ......... none of the ones I would normally put into s stir fry!

Making do, I gave OH a carrot to peel and then use the peeler to make thin strips of carrot.

I found 1 spring onion, and he chopped that in thin round slices

But the real make do was because the only other veggie we had was radishes.

That was when I remembered an article in the local paper a month or so ago, by 2 Chinese chefs .......... slice radishes thin and cook them. They said that the taste would be very different, sweeter and much less peppery.

True, they tasted great.

Talk about using my "brain" :-D :-D :-D

Von

Von Report 15 Aug 2022 08:30

Sounds great Sylvia

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Aug 2022 09:03

A great idea to cut down on cooking time and therefore extra heat in the kitchen.

I've never thought of cooking radish, ...but why not?

We're great believers in seeing what can be made with what's available, so 'Well done'.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Aug 2022 11:19

Such a shame Sharron never got to write her book.

A Sharron cookery book on what to make from the fridge leftovers would surely have included a chapter on 20 things to do with a radish. <3

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 15 Aug 2022 11:46

Names, so true bless her.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Aug 2022 15:03

Stiry frys are a great way to use up any type of veg - if they are good enough to eat raw they are good enough to heat up.. The only exception I can think of at the moment is lettuce although I expect Sharron would have tried it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 15 Aug 2022 15:21

I treated myself to an air fryer a few weeks ago, but haven't used it yet, as, with the heat (and worse, the humidity), the only cooked meal I've had in 6 weeks is fish and chips - once!
This entailed using the big frying pan for 10 minutes - I prefer my fish fried, rather than baked, and my 'chips' are sliced potatoes fried with the fish.

I've been happily 'surviving' on various cold meats and salads - but without the lettuce. So quick, easy and healthy!

The idea is, with just me, the air fryer should be cheaper than lighting the oven when the weather becomes cooler, and I have a yearning (and need) for a 'proper' warming meal. :-D :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 15 Aug 2022 16:16

Im the leftover queen in this house. Learnt from years ago when the pennies were very sparce to make meals almost out of nothing. Slicing carrots thinly, turnip, mushrooms sliced, frozen peas too. Stirfry with lots of pepper, soy sauce etc and mix with some plain rice.

I make a great carbonara with a tub of philly, mushrooms, onions and carrots and some tagliatelle or any pasta.

Yes Sharron was great with her leftover recipes, still very much missed on here x

Florence in the hebrides

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Aug 2022 05:35

maggie ............... we both like salads, so that is what we mostly eat during the summer. Hence why we had so few veggies in the fridge!

There was one ear of corn, supposedly to be the veggie with Sunday dinner. Some carrots and 2 parsnips, plus 2 good living lettuces.

I wasn't about to take the corn kernels off, nor heat the lettuce, and didn't think the parsnips would be good in a stir fry.

We vary our salads with canned sockeye salmon, and deli meats, plus the cold roast if we've had a cooked Sunday dinner. Scrambled eggs are another go-to tghat doesn't result in too much heat.

Anything to keep the kitchen cool

Our houses here in Vancouver are very like back in the UK ........ no air conditioning in most of the older houses, it's only been in the last 10-15 years that new houses are having air condition, or "roughed in for air conditioners".

I'm the eat up left-overs queen ............ almost invariably I make a little too much rice and stir fry, so that's my lunch the next day :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Aug 2022 12:52

I've got used to being spoilt with my AC so still managed a roast on Sunday! Jump on a train Sylvia and get here in time next Sunday :-D
I do like to throw whatever I have into a stir fry then again I do the same with a big pot of chili which has been known to have peas and corn in it! With food there shouldn't be too many rules if it works and you like it what's the problem :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Aug 2022 18:10

oooh, chili!

I haven't made that in ages.

OH used to coach the first year Rugby team at the university, and would have a party for them at the end of the season in March ......... it was always a big pot of chili and a very large bowl or two of trifle.

We only have a small house, but somehow we used to fit 16-20 mainly large 18-20 year olds into our living room :-D

Caroline ....... we're still booked on that train in October ;-)

Caroline

Caroline Report 16 Aug 2022 18:26

I'll get the cookbook out Sylvia....October don't have much time to prep :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Aug 2022 20:20

:-D :-D :-D