General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

England's green & pleasant land!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 9 Aug 2022 13:16

Well, flying out of Gatwick yesterday up to Glasgow, I looked out of the window as one does and oh my! All the fields didn't have any green in them. All brown. It really was a reminder of 1976 when we had a drought.
From the air, I got a fantastic view that you wouldn't see from the ground and I really got a shock.
Flying out of Glasgow further North, there was a bit more greenery but still lots of brown in fields. My own front lawn is brown in places with no new shoots.

No wonder, there have been so many wildfires.

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Aug 2022 13:29

And yet they are still selling bbqs and even the single use ones :-|

Everything made worse by those who don’t cut back the growth. Just walked back from a friends past 6 houses. Half of them would cause a nasty fire if anyone dropped a lit fag end,

Von

Von Report 9 Aug 2022 13:31

Florence it’s quite a shock when you see it from above. A friend coming into land at

Heathrow today posted a picture and it was exactly as you described :-(

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 9 Aug 2022 17:22

There's been several field fires around here, mainly farm machinery catching on flint/rock which sparks. Also had one during the earlier heatwave, caused by the military firing live ammunition on Salisbury Plain (not a great idea). Fire crews couldn't put it out properly for ages as it was too dangerous to get near.

We were on IOW a week ago and the downland is absolutely parched and brown :-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 10 Aug 2022 03:33

Never mind.

The grass will soon green up when the rains come. It usually takes only about 2 days of good rains for the grass to green here .............. and we automatically go on watering restrictions on May 1st until round October 15.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Aug 2022 07:10

Sylvia, yes it is just getting used to it, we are so used to everywhere being green and complaining about too much rain in the summer. It is quite a shock to go exactly the opposite way, lovely to see the sun, but hard to get Acclimatised to being so hot.

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 10 Aug 2022 09:05

Our grass was starting to brown a bit, then we had 3 days of rain. All green again now. This is the West Pennines.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 10 Aug 2022 09:23

In July, my daughters and I spent some days in the Lake District.
That was an area that I had never visited, so it was great to explore, but just to travel from place to place and have vibrant green fields with lovely dry stone walls stretching far into the distance on each side of us was wonderful in itself.

Travelling back south, the landscape became more parched each mile that we went.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 10 Aug 2022 09:42

Our lawn is still green despite the fact that we never water it. We have had enough sporadic rain to keep it like that.
I have just spent the weekend at Hadrians wall and the top of Weardale, it was very green there as well

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 10 Aug 2022 09:52

Well our ‘lawn’ crunchies when we walk on it. Like walking on cornflakes.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 12 Aug 2022 09:09

With all the fields and woods around here I am beginning to wonder if I need to organise a 'grab' bag.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 12 Aug 2022 12:26

Our grass is brown in patches but we have had damp misty weather and rain last 2 days so that keeps it watered. We are still at risk though from moor fires and people have to be careful with bonfires etc.
They were talking about a hosepipe ban here as well as many of the lochs water levels have dropped.
We may not have the high temperatures but we haven't had any significant rain for weeks now.
Names, it is crunchy when i walk on it as well!

Florence in the hebrides