General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This could be interesting....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jul 2022 13:39

Yesterday, I received a letter from the Council, informing me, they have contractors coming out to do 'external repair and decoration', to be completed by 14/9/2022.

Well, as I said in another post, I have sparrows - house sparrows, to be precise, nesting in the soffit.
They moved in this year, gaining access through a hole, and, to be honest, have made the hole bigger.
So far, they haven't moved into the loft.

I'm rather concerned these contractors will just fill the hole - the adult birds will probably fly off when they get close, and the babies aren't visible.

I shall be informing the Council of the sparrows presence on Monday, and trust they ensure their contractors abide by the Wildlife and Countryside Act of 1981.- which their website says it does.

I'd be interested in the Council's response, bearing in mind, neither they, nor their contractors abided by 'The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012', nor Winchester City Council's own 'Asbestos Management Policy' when they moved me in here.

Whatever the Council's response, it will be the wrong one!

If they damage the nest, it will be evidence that they may put stuff online, but it means nothing.
If they're extra careful about the birds, it shows how they don't give a damn about those who pay the rent, or ensuring places are fit for human habitation and in good repair before moving anyone in!!

Oh - and the soffit is, ironically, made of an asbestos material!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Jul 2022 14:58

They obviously don’t know you now have more time on your hands ;-)

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 17 Jul 2022 15:06

Councils don’t normally cut hedgerows because of nesting birds so it’s similar thing.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Jul 2022 17:10

It will be a different team so different rules.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jul 2022 17:17

Names, that's true - and when I was working, they had more than an (email) earful about their housing contractors :-D
They've still got to strip my bedroom of tiles (none are broken) and screed the floor, but they've got different contractors in, who have agreed to do it at a time (or as near as they can) to suit me.

Mr M - these are contractors. It was contractors who 'didn't notice' the hole in the floor - surrounded by broken tiles. They were broken asbestos-containing tiles.
I expect, if I contact the Council, they will warn the contractors about me :-D :-D