General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

What a wind up!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2022 09:31

I had a call from a scammer, about my internet, obviously reading from a script.
I interrupted, to ask them to name my provider - they ignored me.
Then I asked what my address was - again they ignored me, so I told them what I thought of them, where they could go, and put the phone down.

THEY ONLY CALLED ME BACK!!!!

Apparently they weren't a scammer (I call them 'they', as they said their name was John, but 'John' was either a female, or a boy under 14), and went on to reel off my address. Unfortunately for them, it was my old address. Then they said they could prove it was my current address, by telling me the postcode - which again was for my last address.

I then informed them I would be putting my phone, without cancelling the call, on the table, and forgetting about it.

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 14 Jul 2022 09:50

Years ago we had similar one, the caller asked he could speak to Mr (Surname) my son asked which one and they gave a first name which is my son and he was the one talking but said no you can't he is dead, they put the phone down.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2022 10:38

That's a good one!
This lot were sneaky - they didn't ask for anyone, just went on about 'serious issues' .Next time (and there will assuredly be a next time), as their scamming list is so out of date, I'll just say they have the wrong address, and see what bull turds they come out with :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Jul 2022 13:23

Reading your post Maggie
I was reminded today about a story where a Rep for public houses was a nuisance and wouldnt take no for an answer until...

There a very old pub which did not have a juke box, dartboard or fruit machine. It was run by an lady who had been the landlady for 50 years.
Every year a Rep would call and try to get her to update the pub and every year she declined all his special offers.
This particular year, fed up with him keep coming back, he asked to see her husband instead. She said he was up at the churchyard so he insisted on waiting for him.
After 2 hours, he asked the landlady how much longer did he have to wait, she replied you will have a very long wait as hes been buried in the churchyard for over 20 years. The rep walked out briskly and never came back and bothered her anymore.
So thats how she dealt with the nuisance callers!

Florence in the hebrides :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Jul 2022 15:26

:-D :-D :-D :-D