General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Am home from my hollies

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2022 19:08

Been to near Newquay for a week with my daughter and son in law and his dad and sister

His sister lives locality but his dad lives in the midlands . First holiday for him after losing his wife last Oct

So we had a good week , were in a holiday cottage that belongs to a friend of his sister that had a cancellation so mates rate for the week

Weather wastnt that bad , washout on Tuesday as too wet but on wed we did port isaac where doc Martin is fillmed and I managed the hill down to the harbour on a mobility scooter

We travelled back yesterday via Wiltshire and had two Hours with my best friend from school who have known for 70 plus years
We used to visit till hubby had to give up driving so has been telephone contact for about 11 plus years

Lots of tight hugs with her and her hubby

So was all day travel as left as 9.30am and got to mine in Kent at 5pm plus

Daughter and SIl then had another hours travel to home in hawkinge near Folkestone

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 2 Jul 2022 19:24

It sounds like you had a lovely time, Shirley :-) <3

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2022 19:51

I did thanks

Some days was a bit do I want to go out but once out I perked up

We even went to a cider brewery but I had to give up as mobility scooter didn’t like the cobbled paths .

But was nice weather so sitting and people watching was just as good !

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jul 2022 21:44

Glad you had a good time, Shirley XX

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Jul 2022 00:21

Glad you had a good time, Shirley.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Jul 2022 07:41

Sounds like a lovely break Shirley and good to be with people for a week too. And then, how lovely to meet up with your best friend. I expect you were tired but contented when you got home. and now you will be missing the company. <3

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 3 Jul 2022 09:36

Sounds wonderful, Shirley. I am pleased you enjoyed it. It’s a long time since I visited that area - when aunt and cousins lived in east Devon and we used to spend a couple of days there before heading west.

It is great to meet up with old school pals too.

There are now four of us left from a larger group who used to meet three or four times a year before March 2020, however, we managed to get together for lunch a few weeks ago. I have known one of them for almost 74 years since we started at infants’ school (as it was then) and the other two since we were 11. We always have a good laugh despite our various ailments and don’t they say laughter keeps you young?

I am a firm believer in enjoying life while you can so, Shirley, my good wishes as you carry on along the road. <3

Florence61

Florence61 Report 3 Jul 2022 11:42

Im so glad to hear that you had a wonderful week away. It must have been fab seeing your bestie again.

I havent seen my 4 best friends now since 2017 and wish i could see them and my family especially mum as shes in hospital.

But its great you are able to get out and about and long may it continue for you enjoying yourself. I spent many holidays in Devon and Looe in Cornwall and love Doc Martin. Did it look just it does on the tv?

Take a few days to recharge your batteries and then plan a few more trips. <3

Florence in the hebrides

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 4 Jul 2022 10:01

Florence
It was the scenery you see in doc Martin

But the house they use for the surgery is just the outer side facade , the inner filming is done in a studio apparently

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 4 Jul 2022 10:05

So glad to read that you had a pleasant time away, Shirley.

Icing on the cake to be able to see and hug your long-time friend on the way home too.

Von

Von Report 4 Jul 2022 13:12

Pleased you had a good time <3 <3

I love Port Issac and am a great fan of Doc Martin <3