General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Computer Passwords

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 May 2022 13:16

A discussion on the radio was asking "do you change your passwords on a regular basis? Do you always use the same ones?

I am rather old school as I have so many passwords, I write them in a hardback note book which I keep in a safe place. I have about 5 basic words and then they are made unique with either a number, symbol etc.

So how do you keep track of your passwords and how often do you change them?

I know of some people that open a new folder on their PC and store all their passwords in there, another has a USB stick and stores them on that.

Florence in the hebrides

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 5 May 2022 14:17

I'm so paranoid that I'm too nervous to discuss how I manage my passwords on an open forum.

I do suspect I don't change them often enough :-(

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 May 2022 14:58

Oh Kucinta, no problem. I wouldn't want anyone to give away any personal details etc...was just a general discussion about how security conscious we are and are we secure enough ie change passwords more often.

Florence in the hebrides

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 May 2022 18:03

Like you Florence, I keep a record in a book, but I have also made sure that 2 people I trust know where that book is and know to find it if anything happens to me. They will use the book to cancel memberships, subscriptions, notify people, etc.

I'm not too sure one will remember, but the other will

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 May 2022 18:42

Yes exactly Sylvia. I have also many subscriptions etc that would need to be cancelled so it makes sense to keep it all in a safe place and let as you say, 1 or 2 people that you trust who can deal with things when that times arises.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 5 May 2022 21:05

Ooo-err, my passwords are in my brain!

It may be good to put down passwords that are subscriptions ,though.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 May 2022 22:29

Really learnt the lesson of keeping track of at least subscriptions and memberships AND letting someone know about them from this site.

So many "members" who no longer exist, let alone lost interest!