General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Disability payments

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Apr 2022 14:46

I have been hearing on the radio today about people who are disabled who need the heating on because their conditions need warmth and those that use equipment such as hoists etc that use electricity.

They were saying that with the increase in prices, they cannot afford to have the heating on and one person was having to keep her feet in hot water to keep her circulation going.

Now if you are registered disabled and have applied and been accepted for PIP/DLA, you will receive either a Daily Living element and or a Mobility element.

According to the severity of your disability ,this will determine the level of benefit, ie Standard or Enhanced. This benefit is separate to your state pension and should be used for the purpose of helping with your disability. So if you are a pensioner in your own home in receipt of state pension/credit this is what you are living on. The DLA/PIP is extra and so if you are on the top award around £700 a month, then this will surely cover your electricity/gas bill even if you have the heating on quite a bit.

I am wondering if some people are using this benefit for other things.

I use my PIP to pay for taxis when I do go to town. They can cost £40 each way.

One person said as they need the heating on all the time their monthly bill would be £800! Surely that cannot be correct??

So I'm just not understanding disabled people on these benefits when they say they will go into debt?

Am I the only person who wonders why this is or maybe someone can explain it to me.

I do realise that every one on these benefits are an individual so no 2 people are the same and have no wish to offend anyone either.

Florence in the hebrides

Annx

Annx Report 4 Apr 2022 19:37

I don't think people always tell the truth Florence, especially when they might have to tighten their belts. PIP is intended to help with extra costs whatever they may be and disabled people and their carers have access to a wide range of benefits and those that help with caring can get carer's allowance. If the local council assesses your needs and your carer's needs they can also make direct payments to both with no rules about how the money is spent. There's housing benefit, council tax reduction, universal credit and VAT relief on certain goods. Those continuing with PIP after pension age may get pension credit as well. After years of driving old bangers, once my sister got the mobility component of DLA she could have a large new mobility 6 seater people carrier renewed every 3 years with just the fuel cost.

Each case is different as yiou say and I'm sure some hardship is due to people not claiming all they are due. Maybe they need help to do so or are not aware of what is out there for them. Some would be too proud to ask for help sorting it out as well.

I know someone who has been complaining on social media about not being able to afford to have heating on, switching everything possible off and wearing extra clothing to keep warm and having cold meals rather than cook to manage on just her state pension. The truth is rather different! She also has a small private pension, keeps and feeds 4 dogs (last year it was 6) on the best possible food and has income from rents on 2 of her bedrooms.

Octopus, my energy provider, has given out 5.000 electric blankets to help people and their customers can apply for one.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 4 Apr 2022 22:01

I tend to agree with you Annx about people being truthful. I also know of a family of 5 on benefits. They claim they never have money to pay bills etc yet they have just bought a dog! They live on takeaways too and 3 of them smoke!

I would have thought feeding the family decent food comes first and as for the dog, it was totally unnecessary. They are on Universal credit and everytime, 2 of them are offered a job, they make excuses and turn them down yet they still pull in over £1000 a month.

Oh my Ann, she must be well off with raking in rent etc.

I just don't understand if you are on a limited budget, why you would go and buy a pet that will need feeding!

I guess there are those who know how to work the system. Until i became disabled, i never claimed benefits in my life until 2 years ago.

Florence in the hebrides

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Apr 2022 09:28

Ann is right - people don’t always tell the truth. We used to get infuriated at work when we heard of the many ruses that people pull off to get their hands on taxpayers’ money. Some of the tales were barely believable - but true, all the same!

Even since retirement my lunch chums and I have heard some unbelievable tales - even one shocker carried out by one of our group. It really angered the rest of us and I have to say that there was a lot of animosity at that get-together. Since then the rest of us have met in our gardens without her presence.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Apr 2022 13:27

But I still don't understand that if you are on the highest level of disability benefits and probably housebound, then how come the benefits don't cover extra heating/electricity costs etc?? I bought one of those foot massagers to help with my circulation with my PIP money and it doesnt cost much to use it but it benefits my feet and legs.

JL thats dreadful and also an awkward situation for all of you!

Florence in the hebrides

Annx

Annx Report 5 Apr 2022 14:32

Like you JoyLouise I worked where people told tales to get their hands on taxpayers' money! You see the other side of things then don't you? Some seem to think it is the government that is footing the bill, not the hardworking taxpayer.

I think some expect benefits to support their lifestyle without them making any economies Florence. They get their priorities wrong and feeding the family good food comes first as you say and learning to cook if you can't while you aren't working. Why are so many children needing free meals when that is what Child Benefit is paid for? Have you noticed when some families say they only have X amount in benefits to live on they never include what Child Benefit they get? Why is it still being paid if it is being misused?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 5 Apr 2022 16:12

I'm not sure whether child benefits carry some kind of tax if one parent earns over a certain amount now.

I heard someone mention this a few years ago but I'm afraid I did not take much notice at the time.