General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anonomous charging

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Henry

Henry Report 11 Feb 2022 17:03

Today I got notification that my sub had been renewed, with no pre-warning, and no indication of which credit card was used. For security of course the full credit card number should not be given, but it's common to be shown the last 4 digits.
Problem is, I have a feeling that it has been my wife who has paid the sub and, sadly, she passed away recently. So it is possible that the payment was taken from a card that is about to be closed. It's just awkward not gettting a warning email (so that I could have changed the payment method) and I have to go through hoops to work out which card has been charged. The email address we use for GR is a shared address so that we would both get messages and could both log in.
Why isn't there a payments page where the user can change the credit card to be used in future, rather than having to remember in the 2 weeks before renewal????

Florence61

Florence61 Report 11 Feb 2022 17:16

Henry, you could look at your renewal and turn off the auto feature so next year you will be able to change the details. You say the card is about to be closed, is that from a sole account that is in your late wifes name? as opposed to a joint account?

Because if it is an account in her name only, then the bank would have frozen the account and the payment would not have gone through. Accounts are frozen from when they are notified of the person who has passed until all the paperwork has been completed until it is closed.

Im sorry for your loss and im sure this is distressing and I hope you find out soon where the payment has gone from.

But normally, at the top of your page, it says renew about 2 weeks before your subs expire, did you not see this? I normally get an email saying its due for renewal unless they have stopped doing this. My own are due mid April but my auto renewal is off.

Hope you get it sorted.
Take care

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 11 Feb 2022 18:08

Henry, I am sorry for you loss.

Genes only notify you direct about renewals if they are changing the sum, otherwise it is Florence says about the top of the page.

If you go to ‘account’ at the top of the page you can turn off the auto renewal, but it is important that you make a note of the renewal date and check just before the next renewal date as it has been known for it to slip back to auto renewal without notice.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 12 Feb 2022 10:08

So sorry for your sad loss, Henry. May your dear wife rest in peace.

Maybe the reminder email went to your late wife’s email address?

I hope you can sort things out, you probably have enough paperwork to deal with already.

Liz

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 12 Feb 2022 10:37

I wonder if Henry is saying that it was only his wife who used GR in which case he will not be used to using the site.

I am sorry to hear of your loss Henry have you located the contact email address for GR support? You could try that and tell them about your wife if you no longer want to be a member
try [email protected]