General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Washing up liquid

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Feb 2022 12:39

The makers of Fairy Liquid claim that users stand their bottles upside down to get the last drop out.

Really!

Whatever I am using whenever mine gets very low, if I am not refilling, I water it down and swirl it around on the bottle. The bottle ends up in the sink to get the last bit and the gungy cap is used another time.

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond

Purple **^*Sparkly*^** Diamond Report 8 Feb 2022 13:14

Yes, I have done that. Also used the same methods as you to get the last drops and recently swapped the top from a hand soap dispenser to washing up liquid bottle because o.h. squirts too much in the bowl when washing up!
I wish I could buy a refill bag of washing up liquid like you can with hand wash liquid.

Lizxx

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 8 Feb 2022 13:51

I stand mine upside down when the bottle is almost empty as you get most out that way. THEN I use your method names of swirling the bottle round in the washing up water to get the bottle really empty before throwing away.

Kath. x

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Feb 2022 13:52

Names, I have been doing what you do for years. I even add water to the washing conditioner and liquid when it gets very low. My hair conditioner and shampoo bottles are squeezy but hard to get everything out. I also add water to them, swill around and get a few extra washes.

Why on earth do they make such ridiculous suggestions when the majority of us already do this.? They must think we are all stupid!!

Florence in the hebrides

Annx

Annx Report 8 Feb 2022 13:53

I do the same and with shampoo bottles as well to get an extra wash or two.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 8 Feb 2022 14:01

Isn't this because they are changing the bottles to the type that stand upside down. I think anyone of an age to remember rationing will do all that everyone has suggested.

But has anyone any tips for getting every drop out of squeezy Hellmans mayo?

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 8 Feb 2022 14:05

Ann Glos - I hate squeezy sauce bottles, have reverted to buying the glass jars of Hellmans, also tomato sauce :-)

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Feb 2022 14:06

Well years ago, if the salad cream and brown & tom sauce bottles were low, mum would add a drop of vinegar and shake hard to get a bit more out!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Feb 2022 14:07

Ann you could take the lid of the mayo bottle and use a teaspoon to get the last bits out.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 8 Feb 2022 14:19

..or use a chopstick for the narrow necked bottles.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Feb 2022 14:32

I get annoyed when I can't get the top off an upside down shampoo bottle, so much is wasted.

I impressed my OH the other day when I produced a narrow spatula so he could get the jam out of a narrow jar. I think it was stuck to the front of a magazine years ago.

With the sauce bottle (not mayo) I swish them out with a bit of liquid and add to the gravy. I've had to stop that with the marmite jars as it sems to upset the house coeliac.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 8 Feb 2022 14:48

I cut the tops off squeezy sauce bottles. Using a teaspoon then gets two or three more helpings.

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 8 Feb 2022 15:12

I generally save a small bottle of fairy and refill it from the giant sized ones...

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 8 Feb 2022 15:26

Toothpaste and other tubes. If you cut the bottom off and carefully open it with toothbrush or teaspoon handle depending on what is in the tube, you can then scrape the sides, then cut half way up and there is loads more there.
with the squeezy washing up liquid bottles, squeeze them while out of the water then put in the water and it will suck the water up thus diluting it.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Feb 2022 17:01

Names, cut the shampoo bottle across and then you can get it out with a spoon.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Feb 2022 17:58

We had a janitor at work years ago who told me to water down washing-up liquid right from the beginning. She contended that the men at work used way too much when washing their lunchtime dishes.

You have to start with an empty bottle, half fill it from the new bottle, then add cold water to top up the half-filled bottle.

Or start with a bottle that is already about half used.

You should get about the same amount of bubbles and washing power. If not, use less water.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 8 Feb 2022 19:23

Florence - I’ve usually started when I realise there is not enough and I don’t take scissors to the bathroom. :-D

Sylvia - why don’t I do that with the washing up liquid when I do do that with the liquid hand soap. :-S

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 8 Feb 2022 20:02

Always cut make-up and face cream tubes to get to the last drops. As for mayo have been known to give it 10 seconds in the microwave to make it more runny!

Florence61

Florence61 Report 8 Feb 2022 21:39

Ah well, I always have scissors in the bathroom along with probably lots of other "useful" stuff just in case lol :-D