General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Larkins

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 5 Dec 2021 09:36

I've started to watch this series which began in Oz last week and I must confess to being disappointed in it.

Having read all H. E. Bates's books about the Larkin family and having seen the series which starred David Jason, there is no comparison. The fact that certain characters are portrayed other than they appear in the books is a total turn-off :-( :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 5 Dec 2021 09:58

I gave up halfway through the same episode. I'm told ITV, here, is showing an extended episode for Christmas.

Hope someone is giving me a good book to read.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 5 Dec 2021 10:18

We set the series to record because we like Bradley Walsh in most things but after starting to watch the first episode we, too, were disappointed so we cancelled the series link and haven't bothered watching any more.

It's nowhere near as good as the original series with David Jason.

Kath. x

Allan

Allan Report 5 Dec 2021 10:31

I'm glad that I'm not the only one

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 5 Dec 2021 12:23

There are any number of opportunities to stream the real thing with David Jason or to buy the boxed set.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_darling_buds_of_may/shop/5104/complete_20th_anniversary_collection/

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 5 Dec 2021 13:07

Gave it a chance, not impressed with 1st episode but decided to see 2nd - haven't seen anymore. :-(

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 5 Dec 2021 13:20

Glad I was not the only one to disagree with the TV Critics.

They said it was marvellous!

We watched the first episode, and we generally give a new series two goes to see if we like it, but did not bother.

Shame, because I like Bradley, but I thought it was a pale imitation.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 5 Dec 2021 14:11

I have to agree. I remember the original series with David Jason and I'm afraid replicating it with Bradley just doesn't work. There are some dramas you just cant mess around with and this is one of them.

Don't get me wrong, Bradley is good at many things but this series just didn't work.

Florence in the hebrides

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 5 Dec 2021 21:18

I was SO looking forward to seeing Catherine Zeta Jones, and all.....

Allan

Allan Report 11 Dec 2021 22:35

For three weeks now I have tried to immerse myself in this programme and after last night's episode I have finally admitted defeat :-(

I did have a boxed set of all the Larkin Books and I now regret getting rid of them. They were books that I could read time and time again.

The same could also be said of my collection of George Orwell books!

And don't get me started on my 'Fame is the Spur' novel which went walk-about a few years back

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 11 Dec 2021 22:52

If I read a book I don't watch a program or a film, there seems to little point in my opinion.

Allan

Allan Report 11 Dec 2021 23:17

I know that the plots of books and films based on them may have to change, but not the main characters or the overall story line.

The first TV series of 'The Darling Buds of May' did very well in that regard and certainly followed the intent of the books.

This current series seems to be transporting current social issues back to the late fifties and has most certainly 'lost the plot'

What did it for me last night was where one character got into a sports car and another character shouted out "Don't forget your seat belt" As far as I am aware seat belts weren't required until the late sixties

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 12 Dec 2021 08:42

I was scrolling through the listings on tv last night, and I do believe Darling Buds is being repeated on ITV3 from tomorrow. :-D

Edit. Just checked the listing magazine, and yes it is being repeated from tomorrow. Monday 13th. :-D

Allan

Allan Report 12 Dec 2021 21:25

It's just a pity that we can't receive ITV3 here in Oz :-( :-D

Mind you, one of the houses that we viewed recently did have a massive satellite dish in the garden. Apparently the owner was from overseas and missed the TV programmes from his homeland, so he installed the requisite equipment to receive world wide TV

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Dec 2021 10:47

Use a VPN.

https://www.my-expat-network.com/watch-uk-tv-abroad?gclid=CjwKCAiA-9uNBhBTEiwAN3IlNIR2sqA3Q3EoZTqOQunwWweG75UQWFqw1CpDEMcsyj0eiMoSezbzLhoCaqcQAvD_BwE

There are many to choose from.

Allan

Allan Report 13 Dec 2021 21:01

Thanks, Rollo, I'll look into that

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 17 Dec 2021 18:41

well well well.....I posted (earlier ) about Catherine, and today was surprised to see an original couple of episodes....woweeee!!

MotownGal

MotownGal Report 17 Dec 2021 19:02

It started repeats of the old series on Monday, Bob.

The lovely Catherine is indeed on the screen. :-)