General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

My heritage.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Nov 2021 00:13

I know I've asked this question before but how do I find out who my DNA connection is with, I have sent a message to said DNA match to this person and she answered with it is exciting but I don't have a tree, so where do I go from that?

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 18 Nov 2021 08:11

If they don't have a tree on MH, you can't look for the link person. You can ask if they have a tree somewhere else that you can view, or you can list the surnames in your direct line and see if you match any of those. Or you can encourage them to build their tree, as we do on here. But I seldom find the link person.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Nov 2021 13:19

How close is the connection supposed to be? How many cms and segments have you got?

It is very difficult to work out where the connection lies if you are not that close.

Kense

Kense Report 19 Nov 2021 15:34

Very roughly speaking, if you have a match of 30cM or more it is probably a genuine match and you are related to that person. When the match gets down to 10 cM or less then you are probably not related although there is still a chance that you may be related.

I have some confirmed matches at 10 cM on my Ancestry tree, However 10cM represents 4th to 8th cousin which (I think) means the common ancestor could be as far away as a 7 greats grandparent. Both relations need to have trees going back that far with all branches filled in and all decendants.

You also have to consider that some matches can be due to illicit liaisons somewhere, which may be impossible to determine.