General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Garden centre vouchers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Nov 2021 14:58

I am gobsmacked to find that a local garden centre near my mother does do garden vouchers but cannot send to Scottish Islands, Isle of Wight, Isle of Man & the Channel Islands. All they do is send it first class by Royal mail & charge £2.50.

We are talking about a small gift card in an envelope so how they cannot send it to the places I have listed is beyond comprehension??

As my mother is 84 and very difficult to please, I thought I had found the perfect solution! Anyone know why they cant post it out as I would be interested to know the reason. They do not give a reason just that, they dont send here.

Florence in the hebrides

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 14 Nov 2021 15:06

Maybe their vouchers are not able to be spent in those places? Otherwise I don't know. you say they send first class by Royal Mail though. do you mean to UK mainland only is where they send them? £2.80 is probably signed for or something as vouchers are probably regarded as cash. and therefore vulnerable in the post.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Nov 2021 15:21

That is weird. The isle of Wight is not usually included in the areas not covered for deliveries.

I usually use the National Garden Centre gift cards.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Nov 2021 15:43

It is strange. The values of the card range from £1, £5, £10 £15 & £25 max. I suppose its treated like cash but its an independent garden centre not a national one.

I guess i could get SIL to go & buy it, wrap it for me and give it to her on xmas day but she wont have anything in the post from me then, if you understand me.

I ordered a Dobbies card for someone and they sent that to me here no problem, just there isnt a Dobbies close to her so went for the local one.

Although on a lighter note, not sure if SIL wants to return to local garden centre after my darling 4 yr old nephew and his girfriend knocked the singing santa over when they were there 2 weeks ago!! It was"an accident" of course ;-)

Florence in the hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 14 Nov 2021 16:29

I have bought National Garden Gift Cards for people before now and they just arrive in plain envelopes, so no indication as to what they are.

You could get round it by having them sent direct to your mother's address.

I have just had a look at their website and they deliver anywhere that isn't classed as International. They also do an evoucher, which is sent by email and you print it off yourself.

On reading your post again, I think the problem is that you are thinking of getting gift cards from the local centre, which can only be used in the one place. I would check whether the National Garden Gift Cards can be used there and if they can, go down that route.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 14 Nov 2021 17:34

Thanks Andys mum, I shall have a rethink and also chat over with SIl and see if we can get a solution. I will have a look at National Garden Gift cards to see where they can be used.Thankyou for your suggestion

Florence in the hebrides

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 15 Nov 2021 14:01

I saw an article in the paper the other day saying that people should beware of giving vouchers ( esp. ones linked to a specific shop or chain ) as so many firms have/are going out of business that vouchers become useless. It also said that some large companies actually apply a monthly charge to be deducted from the value of the voucher if they haven't been redeemed within a certain time. Rather spoils the idea of a nice gift!.