General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA Wounder if it would work.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 14 Oct 2021 20:48

daughter wants to do a DNA test but different from the normal way of doing test
she wants to give her DNA but use none English name so would use friends name and give a different address.

reason for this she wonders what they would come up with

so just asking what you all think about it

shelly

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Oct 2021 21:14

I can't see the point of doing that.

The name shouldn't in any way affect what the results would be.
Any DNA matches for your daughter would be logged under the wrong name and any later matches to your family would not be logged as being a link to you and your relatives.

I heard of someone with a very English-sounding name, whose results showed a lot of African heritage.
The analysts of the samples go by the science, not the clues of name and address.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 14 Oct 2021 21:26

Gwyn that's the point in her wanting to do it to see what they come up with
she don't want no connection with family trees

she want to do it like an experiment to see were they say she may date back from

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 14 Oct 2021 21:34

But how will changing her name and address make any difference to the outcome.?

I don't understand the thinking behind that :-S :-S

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 14 Oct 2021 21:38

Bit of a waste of money doing that, I would say.
They don't connect you with family trees to begin with on most DNA sites. That gives your ethnicity estimate.
You only need a tree and names if you want to connect with other matches.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 14 Oct 2021 21:47

it heard for me to explain

but that's why I'm asking what you all think of it

she just want to see were they would say her ancestors are from not to get match with trees

i don't even understand my self on were she is going with it

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 14 Oct 2021 21:48

Do some companies give you the option to keep your results entirely private ?

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 14 Oct 2021 21:52

nameslessone good question i don't no

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 14 Oct 2021 21:54

i think she seems to think DNA testing some how do there own tree lookup and match you with ancestors

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 14 Oct 2021 22:01

The several DNA sites I have used don't actually require a family tree or any names, and some people who upload their results don't put a family tree on at all, nor look for matches. The company computer will do the DNA matching, from the many components of DNA, not trees or names.
And yes, I think you can keep details private, though matching will still take place.

Ethnicity estimation is based on matching with a majority of people in a certain area.
If there is no one in that large area has taken the tests, they can't match you with that ethnicity.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 14 Oct 2021 22:15

My sister, nephew and I had our DNA tested by 'My Heritage'.
We live in different places, I have a very 'English' name - both forename and surname., My sister has a very Irish sounding forename, and an Irish surname - and my nephew has an extremely Irish name.
'My Heritage', at the time didn't break it down into precise places, just a general area. Sister and I are almost the same - Celtic (Cornish), Northern European, and Iberian. I have more Iberian, but I'm a lot darker than her.
My nephew - with his Irish father, had no Iberian. He had Northern European, Celtic (could be Irish and Cornish), and Roman - that's from his very 'Irish' dad!

So, as others have said. your name and address have no bearing.

My nephew and I have trees on 'My Heritage' - and the only 'close' updates (closer than 6th cousin) are from each other, when we update our trees!
My sister has no tree - therefore no updates.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 15 Oct 2021 09:41

I've just read the OP again and it seems your daughter wants to completley hide her identity.
She could register an email address without her name showing and have the kit sent to another address. But it would be unfair to use the friends name on the results.

I use two email address, Ancestry comes in on my main email address the others go to my other one which doesn't give my surname. You could say one goes to Nameslessone and one goes to Names.

I once contacted someone who matched with my OH and he had the mistake that everyones seems to make on his tree - the other person immediatley made his tree private and I have always wondered if he blocked messages as well.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 15 Oct 2021 11:34

I have my DNA on several sites - all very similar results 3 with and 3 without trees. Some with my Welsh maiden name and others with my German/Scandinavian married name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 15 Oct 2021 11:48

I bought an Ancestry DNA kit for my grandson.
It was delivered to my address.
He sent the sample away and the results came back to his e mail address.

Neither of us are on any trees on Ancestry, so there is no chance of matching a test to our family through our names.

The companies offering the tests can't possibly trace each person's ancestors, when a sample is received.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 15 Oct 2021 13:00

Your daughter can use an invented name so I am struggling to find any sense or responsibility in using a friend's name.

Also, Ancestry sends the test kit to the address given - so your daughter needs to be sure that whichever person lives at the address she gives to Ancestry will pass the kit on to your daughter!

Gwyn, I opened an Ancestry tree of my own, without paying, simply to receive the results of my DNA. You can put as much or as little information there, as you wish. You can also see DNA matches. EDIT: AND CONTACT THEM.