General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Post Office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Sep 2021 12:44

I've been away for a few days, and came back to a card from the PO saying they tried to deliver a parcel, but I was out.
Unfortunately, the parcel wasn't for me, but for a Mr P B, and, though they tried to deliver it to me, it was the wrong address, with a totally different postcode, as this road is the other side of the village - by that, I mean about 2 miles away!
They're fairly similar addresses, the same number, but one is, say School Green Close, the other School House Close.
I tried phoning the PO, but there was nothing about someone elses parcel not being to the wrong address - and that used ALL my free phone calls.
Then I tried logging a complaint.
They had 'my post is being delivered elsewhere' (how would you know?), but no 'The PO tried to deliver someone elses parcel to me, they can't get it, because they don't know, and I have the card'.
It was, however, 'Royal Mail' tracked, so maybe the person who it was for may turn up on my doorstep.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Sep 2021 12:49

Does the card have a redeliver option

Or collect from local PO parcel centre

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 30 Sep 2021 12:58

How annoying for both you and the person who should have had the parcel delivered. Hopefully they have been sent a tracking email (if they are on line of course) and will know from that.

We used to get mail for another house, same number different road name but it was only around the corner.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Sep 2021 13:42

Shirley, it does - but not much good to the person whose parcel it is - you need the card to pick it up! :-S

JustGinnie - I would deliver the card if it was just around the corner - but it isn't!

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 30 Sep 2021 15:54

Just wondered if it was put to redeliver they may try the right address

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Sep 2021 16:30

If I rememeber rightly, they wanted an email address as well, and there's no point in giving mine.
Also, you had to phone to get it redelivered. You're bombarded with a list of 'to do's', and questions - a human voice, but no human, so if it's 'out of the ordinary' - tough luck!,
As my first call had cost so much, I'd run out of free calls , on my mobile - which I rarely use - I don't see why I should be out of pocket to even more money through their failure. :-|

Florence61

Florence61 Report 30 Sep 2021 16:46

maggie, do you know roughly when postie is in your road? If you kept an eye out, could you speak to him and explain?
Or are you going to you local PO anytime soon and take the card with you?

It is a nuisance as my new add shares its postcode with 2 other different street addresses but same number of house!! I have had my mail going to another no 3 but the man very kindly delivered it to me as he knew me.

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Sep 2021 17:30

I've been keeping an eye out for the postie, but I think he only delivers on certain days.
I 'could' go to the post office, likewise, I 'could' deliver the card to the correct address - but, as I can't walk very far, and it's lashing down with rain I really don't fancy a half hour or hour long walk,then back again, also, why should I waste my time doing someone elses job - especially as I've used up my monthly free calls (something I've never done before) phoning Royal Mail's rip-off number.

I've delivered wrongly posted mail in my road, and around the corner, but that's not a trek away.
If the Post Office had a free number, and 'real' person on the end of the phone, life would be easier!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Oct 2021 12:26

True - but the nearest post box, is at the post office!!

There are 5 shops 'near' me.
One way, there's a hairdresser and a reasonably priced 'Tesco Express', with the cat food Betty likes, the bread I eat, and an ATM machine.
The other way, there's an Indian Take Away, a Chemist and an overpriced shop/Post Office, with a post box - and delicious looking (but expensive) lardy cake, which, so far, I've managed to avoid buying.
Both journeys are about 20 minutes away, and involve a ridiculous hill!
I've just got back from 'Tesco's, as I needed cat food, and to see how little was in my bank account :-(

I've had an email back from Royal Mail informing me that the complaint should be resolved in 3 days - or not - depending on how busy they are :-S