General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I have been at it again.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 12:40

As I m sure you have surmised I lead a crushingly dull life with some dreadful interests and my poor OH gets dragged into all sorts of dull activities.

He is going to have to go to a talk about local wartime airfields but there will be wine and nibbles there. (Those organizers are going to regret that when they see us set to a-nibbling!)

Now he may well have to drive me to Ipswiich to see i we can see where the battle cogs were gathered before they sailed for the Battle of Sluys.

I was going to ask if anybody round that way fancied meeting up but the word "More interesting things to do" really do spring to mind, don't they?

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2021 13:03

If only I was closer Sharron :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 13:37

You could come and try to look interested!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Sep 2021 16:34

I did a 'Google' of 'Battle Cogs' - and it came up with this:
"A cog battle allows a group of toons to battle the cogs. Toons attack with the use of gags. In terms of cogs, cogs perform various types of moves depending ..."

Apparently it's something to do with 'Toontown!' :-D :-D :-D :-D

Has Sharron entered another universe?...... :-0

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 16:39

No, I have my own parallel universe.

Have a look at the Battle of Sluys or the Cog Christopher and join me there!

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Sep 2021 16:46

:-D :-D :-D Maggie

We're all learning something today, thanks to Sharron. I googled Battle of Sluys and learnt all about battle cogs :-) Presumably the cogs assembled at the docks, much of which is now known as the Waterfront and is "gentrified", with flats, eating places etc.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 16:53

Just the woman I need to consult.

I read that the gathered on the Orwell but do you, who will have a knowledge of the area I can't even pretend to have, think that would have been at Ipswich or at Felixstowe?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Sep 2021 17:16

Not often anyone wants to consult me!

I guessed at Ipswich which was a really important port at the time and in an effort to confirm my guess I came across this:

King Edward embarked on the cog, Thomas, at Ipswich on 20th June 1340 and led his fleet across the Channel, being joined by Morley’s ships off Blankenberg on the Flanders’ coast. Edward’s fleet was now complete at perhaps 300 to 400 sail. The ships were small, most having a regular crew of 5 or 6, with an additional fighting force of 10 to 15 archers and men-at-arms.(BritishBattles.com)

I know nothing about boats, ancient or modern, and not much more about that period in history. I live about 20 miles from Ipswich but seldom go there these days. When are you thinking of coming?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Sep 2021 17:29

It looks fascinating - the real thing, not the game!

Shame I no longer live at Blackmore End!

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 17:50

Thanks Vera. You found a place to look that I didn't.

Had not thought of a date yet. Would you like to meet? When would suit you?

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 1 Sep 2021 20:20

It would be great to meet but at the moment it’s difficult for me to plan ahead as OH has a few problems and we are backwards and forwards to doctors and hospitals. The trouble is he doesn’t know when they will call him in. Last week he got phone calls on Tuesday calling him in on both Wednesday and Thursday. Today he had a call to go in on Friday morning.

But please let me know if and when you decide to come whenever it is - this year, next year, sometime - and if I possibly can I’ll meet you.

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 20:24

I will liaise with you later. (When I find out what it means!)

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Sep 2021 20:26

Don’t let anyone ever tell you that nothing interesting is learnt on GR :-D I had not heard of cigs but what small fighting ships they seem to be.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 1 Sep 2021 20:33

Do you smoke them or sail them? :-S

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 20:42

They were not fighting ships they were trading ships but castles were fitted to them when they were needed to go into combat.

There are one or two videos on YouTube about them and that is where I learned that AND that they could be towed like canal boats.

Annx

Annx Report 1 Sep 2021 21:43

I've got some googling to do now Sharron........sounds interesting and I will be able to impress him indoors with some facts he might not know! lol. :-D

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 21:55

You be careful or you will end up like me with a head full o things nobody needs in their head.

Caroline

Caroline Report 1 Sep 2021 22:34

Isn't that better than an empty head?

Sharron

Sharron Report 1 Sep 2021 22:41

It doesn't leave any room or things you might really need to go in your head.