General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Omg that’s cost!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Aug 2021 13:46

So I have warm air central heating and a separate multipoint water heater

Mains water and no tanks

Two weeks ago the water heater decided to spring a leek and wasn’t repairable as the unit is obsolete

Been going around in circles on the internet trying to find a replacement with some saying they don’t make multipoints anymore to some saying we can supply but not install

Finally found a local company who are also agents /installers for my current warm air central heating

So a house call and general chat the guy said ok more than I thought but let’s look at your warm air unit. Then it’s an old unit and obsolete if it goes wrong so maybe let’s combine what we can do .

I was yes I was thinking it would be just my luck to get a new water heater installed and then the heater unit pack up

So this week on Monday/Tuesday I had the old leaking unit taken out and the old warm air unit and a new installation of a combi boiler that also runs a warm air heating system

Big job but I now have hot water and an up to date heating system that will also give out cold air for the summer by a switch

Cost me £6000 plus but tbh the amount of work and the equity it’s probably put in the house it’s been worth it

Stupidly though but I keep worrying about turning a hot tap on !

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 20 Aug 2021 14:06

We had similar happen to us about 3 yrs ago, we had a multipoint for years but had gas fires in the rooms. When water heater broke we decided to get central heating put in. As you say a big job but we had a good firm doing it so it all went fairly smoothly.

Yours sounds great with the option of cool air as well as warm.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 20 Aug 2021 14:12

OOo. Cold air - I am so jealous. At least you have had it all replaced before the governemnt bring all the new rules they are threatening us with.

When we moved into our current house some years ago we found mushrooms growing in the carpet. Which lead us to the leak in the warm air unit.

We now have no indoor mushrooms and a gas boiler with radiators.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Aug 2021 14:15

The water leak was getting worse every day

Big bath towel sheets on the work surface that got soaked in hours but it wasn’t able to be turned off

Only used for my daily shower but as a pressurised system it had water permanently in it

Thank goodness for the internet because i wouldn’t have known where to get advice etc without it :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Aug 2021 15:23

You had me spluttering over my coffee there, Shirley. £6,000 - what a price!

I guess gas heating engineers and installers are able to retire early in your neck of the woods! :-0

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Aug 2021 15:38

Well new multipoints to buy only were over £2000

It was a lot of work because they had to resite the combi upstairs in an airing cupboard and get the water and gas to it and connect to the old flue in the loft

Did initially think my god that’s a lot of money but then all things considered I have a completely new up to date system so that’s equity too

Been lucky that this sixties build hasn’t had to have essential costly work done on it so far

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 20 Aug 2021 19:49

More work than I thought Shirley. I thought it was a straight swap.

I hope it lasts for years. :-)