General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On a Government List

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Aug 2021 12:52

Shock horror! I’ve had a phone call and apparently am on a government list. The Government know exactly what sort of Insulation I’ve got in the loft.

Is someone watching us 24/7 the whole time we’ve lived here.

The call was quite funny. The caller couldn’t move away from his script, kept restarting and cutting out. The best was when he said ( for the umpteenth time) I’m calling from……. Silence…….then continued.

He had actually started by saying he was calling about my energy. Told him I had plenty ( of energy) and didn’t need anymore. :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Aug 2021 13:01

:-D :-D :-D :-D

Strange, I had a similar call yesterday!
Before he'd got too far (though he did describe my attic inslation to a tee), I suggested he contacted my landlord, as I'd love to have it updated.
He didn't seem too interested, apologised and put the phone down.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 17 Aug 2021 13:32

When they rang me they implied I was obliged to tell them if it had been upgraded as it had been paid for by a government grant !!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 17 Aug 2021 14:37

Which one did the government paid for, the original or the upgrade. Where they expecting you to repay the money? ;-)

They must have missed you out when they installed cctv in everyone else’s lofts :-|

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Aug 2021 16:05

My current ploy with these phone calls is to just repeat what they've asked...they can't move from their script one little bit so it becomes quite farcical as they struggle to get you to answer anything.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 19 Aug 2021 10:38

Just had a phone call supposedly from a Manchester area landline offering to send someone to check my home for any problems I might need help with regarding doors, windows etc.
They would send someone to assess and then help would be given to fix any faults.

'Why are you ringing ME?'

'Because everyone has a right to live in a safe and secure home'

'Where did you get my number?'

'I've got the number of everyone who lives in social housing and I'm ringing to see if they need help'.

I told them they had the wrong number...... but what was all that about?

Why would I think someone in Manchester was responsible for the upkeep of houses in the far south east of the country..(which isn't and never has been social housing anyway)?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Aug 2021 10:49

It's getting bad, when you have 'real' people (as opposed to a recording) scamming you, and you're not quite sure :-|

I had an interesting one yesterday.
An excited, American voice telling me I was live on some American radio show, and all I had to do was answer three questions to win an all exclusive holiday to somewhere in America.
When | pointed out it was the middle of a pandemic, I don't want to go to America, and I was ignored, I realised it was recorded.
I was asked the population of London, and had 3 seconds to answer. I pressed 'exit' - but it continued.
I just left the phone and carried on with my life.