General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Egg cartons

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 16 Aug 2021 08:20

Following on from Florence's thread about plastic take away containers and recycling., I was surprised to find out that the cardboard egg cartons should not be reused. I often buy eggs at the side of the road, and take my cartons back when I next pass by. A few months ago I happened to come across a farm shop that had eggs on display in trays When I got my carton out to help myself to eggs I was told that I could not use it, I had to use one of those next to the display !! Health and Safety gone slightly mad

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Aug 2021 10:21

Why?My friend keeps chickens and we reuse the boxes over and over.When she brings 6 eggs,we give her back the previous box.
The world has gone mad

Florence in the hebrides

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2021 10:26

Apparently, it's due to a 2008 DEFRA regulation:

"There is, however, a UK rule. DEFRA – the government department responsible for food – has published a voluntary code of practice to prevent salmonella, which can be transmitted by infected raw eggs. Cardboard egg trays should be “ideally used only once” and, if re-use is unavoidable, should “ideally only be used in the same house or premises”

Apparently:

"Salmonella from infected raw egg can survive long periods on packaging, so recommending appropriate hygiene practices seems a sensible precaution."

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 16 Aug 2021 10:38

.......and what about all the nursery children, who use egg boxes to make caterpillars and other creatures when junk modelling?

I can understand concerns about safety, but if it is a real problem, why are the dangers not more widely known?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Aug 2021 10:59

Or is it a perceived problem not proven? I know Grandson re-uses egg boxes, but he does give eggs mainly to family.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2021 11:02

I think the main problem is where people crack eggs and put the eggshells back into the carton, and a small amount of egg white dribbles onto the carton.
However, if this is done, it leaves a visible mark.

The DEFRA regulation seems a bit over the top!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Aug 2021 11:05

googled!

There are no European Commission regulations specifically prohibiting re-use of egg boxes.

A 2004 regulation on foodstuff hygiene covers storage and packing operations, says packaging must not be a “source of contamination”, and must be easy to clean or disinfect.

A 2008 regulation mentions egg boxes – they must be “shock-resistant, dry, clean and in good repair”. But it does not forbid their re-use.

There is, however, a UK rule. DEFRA – the government department responsible for food – has published a voluntary code of practice to prevent salmonella, which can be transmitted by infected raw eggs. Cardboard egg trays should be “ideally used only once” and, if re-use is unavoidable, should “ideally only be used in the same house or premises”.

The code was drawn up with input from the industry itself, including the British Egg Industry Council, the British Veterinary Poultry Association and the National Farmers’ Union. However, as it is voluntary, small-scale egg farmers in East Sussex are not bound by it.

The EU Commission, aided by scientific advisers, is responsible for approving salmonella control programmes proposed by members states. But it seems a stretch to refer to any of these rules – UK or EU – as “red tape madness”.

Salmonella from infected raw egg can survive long periods on packaging, so recommending appropriate hygiene practices seems a sensible precaution.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2021 11:20

We found the same article, Ann! :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Aug 2021 11:32

:-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Aug 2021 12:48

Always good to come across a couple of great minds on here. ;-) :-D

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 16 Aug 2021 13:04

as Gwyn says 'what about all the nursery children, who use egg boxes to make caterpillars and other creatures when junk modelling?'

A lot of playgroups these days won't use egg cartons and toilet roll inners in case of the possibility of contamination. Guess they are worried about litigation if a child gets a tummy upset.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Aug 2021 13:34

Personally, I think it's the luck of the draw!

1 in every 20,000 eggs contains salmonella.
I possibly 'found' one 2 weeks ago' in a sunny side up' fried egg. :- S

It was well within it's 'use by' date, didn't smell, looked normal, but didn't taste 'quite right', so after one bite, I didn't eat any more - but that one bite was enough, as I found out that evening. It may have been food poisoning, but whatever, the egg was responsible.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Aug 2021 13:51

I agree Gwyn as when I was working in schools, we always had a "junk" box full of cartons, egg boxes etc to make models in art or themes. Once we made huge models of Iron man...they were amazing.

We also used the egg cartons to grow cress in with a bit of cotton wool.

Its common sense. if i had a box where an egg had leaked, i would throw it away and not resuse.

Florence in the hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Aug 2021 15:23

You can use the cardboard egg boxes to start off seedlings the plant out the seedling still in it’s little egg shaped pot.