General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

From my window I can see.....

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 3 Aug 2021 09:12

Builders, builders and more builders. Our houses have been built around 50 years, over the past year or two a lot of them have become vacant as the people who moved into them when they were newly built moved on. I guess most of them looked dated to the people moving in, and people now find a standard 3 bedroom semi too small for a family of four. Everywhere the houses are being gutted, roof extensions being added, and in some cases 2 story extensions where once the garage stood.
When we moved here we had families of 6 either side of us, they seemed to cope in a three bedroomed, one bath roomed house. These days folk seem to want a bathroom for every bedroom. !!
How things have changed.

What can you see from your window?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Aug 2021 10:09

From my back windows, I can see a grass covered bank, and a 'bank' of trees at the back of the garden behind me, including lilac, buddleia and a fir tree where baby starlings sit and squawk, with Betty asleep at the bottom, a small wall, and patch of grass - must clean Betty's 'detritis' up! :-( It's a very private area.
Out the front, I can see the very quiet road (I live in a close) and the lady across the road's bird feeders, and people walking their dogs to the field about 2 roads away.
Occasionally, I hear the trains.
It's very quiet here. I used to live within deafening distance of the M3.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 3 Aug 2021 10:22

From the front window downstairs I can see the houses opposite, three of them

From the front upstairs I can see the 8 houses (out of 16) in the close on the opposite side of the road and 14 cars (at the moment a couple of cars are out) and strangely I can't see any cats there is the potential for 4/5 cats out there.

From the back upstairs I can see my garden, three bungalows and a house, further away over the bungalow a block of flats and a few 'council' or whatever some bought houses and in the far distance Robinswood Hill.

From the back downstairs I can only see my garden.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 3 Aug 2021 10:46

From the kitchen at the back of the house, I can look to sheep grazing on the distant hill. Closer, there are 2 silver birch trees.
Outside the kitchen window, I see my rather unkempt garden. I actually don't mind the wild and natural look, as long as it doesn't have weeds to annoy my neighbours.
At the front, a quiet road, with wheelie bins and black boxes awaiting the recycling collection, hopefully today ?

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 3 Aug 2021 11:18

Well ladies you seem to have some very tranquil views compared to mine. I must admit my garden tends to look rather unkempt, but it does attract the birds, lots of butterflies and the occasional frog as well as the local cats and a fox or two at night.

A garden along the road has a very wild patch in the front garden with a big notice
'Pardon the weeds, we are feeding the bees' - I thought it a rather good idea

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 Aug 2021 15:24

In the back I see my grass which if you look at it in the right light and the right angle looks amazing, my old shed which needs replacing and lots of things in pots which I need to plant up once I get the new shed and an idea of how to lay out the garden.....and I see neighbours swimming pools if I look from upstairs.
In the front I see my awful grass and neighbours. Plenty of trees front and back.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 3 Aug 2021 15:42

At the back I can see my garden, somewhat neglected, and lots of trees with plenty of birds.

At the front I can see the road, then a grassy bank, the beach and the sea - Firth of Clyde. Straight ahead (south) I can see The Isle of Bute and beyond that The Isle of Arran. The last two look as though they are one piece of land, but there is actually about 10 miles between them.

To the left (east) I can see Gourock and to the right (west) Dunoon and the Holy Loch, where the american subs were until they decided it was time to go home, in the 1990's.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 3 Aug 2021 15:57

With all the rain we have been getting Caroline my grass hasn't looked it's best this year

I would love to be able to look out on the sea Andysmum. In Ireland once we saw a house with a small waterfall behind it and it was overlooking the sea, that would have been my ideal home. Either that or a beach hut, but they are so expensive

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 4 Aug 2021 14:18

The sea in front of me and Mount Teide to the Left of me <3

Caroline

Caroline Report 4 Aug 2021 15:23

Sadly my grass often looks awful between bugs/grubs, dogs, skunks, raccoons and the neighbours cats it's an uphill battle add in the weather and well......

Amokavid

Amokavid Report 4 Aug 2021 16:09

We have a wrap round garden.
From the front Living room window we can see the "best" part of the garden, from the side window in the Living room we look out onto the gravelled side garden with a Rugosa hedge & a circle of what were Dwarf pine trees,now about 4 feet, fortunately they do not obscure the view from that window, at the end of side area there is a gated Arbour.

From the Dining room window also at the front we look out on some of the "best" bit of garden & another length of mature trees, beyond those trees we can see the Potting shed, & beyond that we can see another stand of trees, they are in the wild / wildlife area.

From the kitchen window & through the back porch we look out onto the drive & a gravelled area which has a Cherry tree in the centre & 4 large pots around it, we can also see the beginning of more mature trees making their way down the house road leading from the drive.

We have to leave the house to see the back garden which is some distance from the house as an old steading lies in between the house & the back garden, part of the steading is the garage.
Beyond all parts of our garden we are surrounded by fields.

No passing people or traffic, bliss.

Joan.

Kentishmaid

Kentishmaid Report 4 Aug 2021 16:17

That does sound blissful Joan

Allan

Allan Report 4 Aug 2021 21:57

The front of our house overlooks a group of units, some tenanted and some owner occupied, all of which are well maintained.

Beyond the units, from our downstairs we get a glimpse of the Leschenault Estuary.

From the upstairs front rooms we have extensive views of the Estuary, together with views of the Estuary Conservation area, beyond which is the Indian Ocean, which we can't see.

Unfortunately the rear of the house, beyond are rather unkempt back garden is dominated by a very large two-storey house.