General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Another Yay ..........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2021 00:50

............... and a BIG one

This morning I booked our return train trip across Canada to spend Christmas with our daughter. We last saw them on December 27 2019 when we said good bye at the train station

An added plus????

We had enough loyalty points that we have been able to use only those to "pay" for the train trip in its entirety ........... .the train company's programme even pays all taxes :-D

Now all that I have to do later is book and pay for the hotels

Linda

Linda Report 25 Jul 2021 01:22

How lovely Sylvia to be able to see your daughter and family after all that time I can't even think about Christmas yet

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2021 02:39

Linda .....

Thank you. We're really looking forward to seeing them. I gather our grandson has grown like a weed since we last saw him!

I do think every year about booking that train trip in July, to be sure that we get the booking, be in a sleeper carriage near the dining car, and get the room and seats that we prefer.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 25 Jul 2021 08:10

That is brilliant Sylvia, but I want to enjoy the summer first before I think of Christmas

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 25 Jul 2021 09:07

Good news and something to look forward to. Good that you get it ‘free’ too. Or what feels like free.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jul 2021 10:30

Great news after waiting so long for your reunion.
I'm really pleased for you.

Yes, your grandson is at the age where you can almost see them grow. It happens so fast!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 25 Jul 2021 11:01

Definitely a double 'YAY'! :-D :-D :-D

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 25 Jul 2021 11:51

That is good news, Sylvia.

As you can now cross the whole of Canada it presumably means that my sister, near Calgary, will be able to visit her daughter and grandsons in Toronto. They have probably grown like weeds too!! :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Jul 2021 16:35

I know of someone in Toronto who currently has their nephew from Calgary visiting so yes Andysmum they will be able to.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2021 17:32

LindainHerriot ............ I will certainly enjoy my summer, possibly even more knowing that I have got the Christmas trip sorted, instead of worrying if we are going to be able to go.

AnnG ....... you're quite right, it only feels like "free" because we spent quite a bit of money buying tickets in previous years in order to get those points. The nice bit is that they do cover the taxes, unlike the airline points systems where you suddenly find yourself getting the ticket cost for free, but then still have to pay out $600 or $800 for taxes and other added costs.

I'm not kidding there ............ it costs as much to fly from Vancouver to Nova Scotia as it does to fly from here to England, and when I used to use Aeroplan or AirMiles to bring my daughter and her son over here to visit us, that's the extra I had to pay. It turned out to be cheaper for her to het her travel agent to get a good deal and then for me to reimburse her!

Gwyn ....... thank you. Yes he's 11, but already needing size 14, and I think heading to be at least as tall as his father who is an inch or two over 6'. Do boys have more growth spurts than girls, because I don't remember my daughter having as many or as dramatic spurts as he's had! Usually accompanied by being much more hungry during them :-D

maggie ...... yes, indeed!

Andysmum ................... as Caroline said, your sister certainly can, just have to keep an watch for sudden changes in certain restrictions, every province has its own rules re masks, spatial distancing, etc. The train for example will still require masks while on the platforms and all the time on the train, except when eating or drinking, or in your own cabin. I have no idea what AirCanada or other companies demand on planes.

Caroline

Caroline Report 25 Jul 2021 17:55

Currently within Canada masks on during flight except for eating/drinking. Pearson airport very quiet compared to normal right now I'm told but as we're opening up the borders shortly that will change though I think no one is allowed inside the buildings unless they're flying.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 Jul 2021 22:13

It is going to be interesting to see what hapens after August 9 when the borders open to US citizens and Permanent Residents, and then again after September 7 to British and the world.

I'm hoping the Feds will close borders again to countries with fast rising covid cases, if that happens.

Kay

Kay Report 26 Jul 2021 00:11

Well done Sylvia, that's really good news. So pleased you'll get to see your family this Christmas. You'll have something to look forward to all over the rest of the year and plan things for. XX

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jul 2021 02:32

Thanks, Kay

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jul 2021 12:03

Thank you both Sylvia and Caroline.

They will fly, but I suspect it will be the Toronto lot who go to Calgary, as my sister lives near the Banff National Park and the boys will be able to practise their skiing. :-)