General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

They never fail!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jul 2021 20:43

Red hot Sunday when everybody is likely to be out doors and, as they do every year, the dairy farm the other end of the village chose today to empty the lagoon and spread slurry on the fields.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jul 2021 21:02

:-( That's unecessary!

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Jul 2021 21:15

I can't really comment on that because I don't know a great deal about agriculture.

However, I have lived with it for many years, it is just a rural stink, but, on the up side, there are those who have moved to the country to live behind a seven foot fence who may be regretting their decision, I hope!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Jul 2021 21:33

:-D :-D :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 18 Jul 2021 23:43

I remember having lunch with my Aunt when my Uncle drove past with the muck spreader, on telling my friends this they said that's disgusting and we should have shut the windows.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jul 2021 00:09

They do it around here, this place is surrounded by fields, but, so far, it's usually been during the week

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 19 Jul 2021 08:28

It's not just the muck it is what spreader they use. We lived opposite a farm, one year they used a top sprayer near houses and a low sprayer elsewhere. Kept our fingers croseed and hoped it was farm muck and not from the sewage 'farm' which they had spread on other fields one year.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 19 Jul 2021 10:01

Eeeewwww.

Unfortunately, I can smell the difference :-(

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 19 Jul 2021 11:56

Breathing through your mouth seems to alleviate the smell, I am told. :-D

My pet hate smell is wood burning/wood burners. The smell (which I think is horrible) seems to hit the back of my throat which is then sore for a while. :-(

I am not sure which burning element is causing it.

I was always OK with coal burning though.

Sharron

Sharron Report 19 Jul 2021 12:02

I can cope with bovine smells but what I really hate is those bonfires that never go out that are associated with stables.

Non-stop stink of hot piddle!