General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The curse of thin walls

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Jul 2021 12:14

Apparently the Test & Trace ping (bluetooth) can travel through walls and you may be pinged when you have seen no one but your neighbour has and it their notification. But you are lumbered as well.

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 16 Jul 2021 12:28

We were 'pinged' at the start of the month. Visited coffee shop on the way home from Cornwall. I went inside and ordered, masked, behind perspex screen etc. then joined OH outdoors with the dog. He checked in with the QR code outside. We were at least 2m away from the people on the nearest table. We didn't go out for anything that wasn't necessary on our return, but I had some pre-planned stuff which was essential - letting house clearance firm into Mum's flat, signing forms etc.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 16 Jul 2021 12:29

Apparently Blue Tooth isn't that safe and I was told that if you have it 9n then your personal data is at risk of being stolen??So I switched off the app.
Anyone else heard this?

If the walls are so thin,then I would def switch it off.

Florence in the Hebrides

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Jul 2021 13:28

I wrote ‘’thin walls’’ as an eye catcher. I think only those who have thick walls or don’t have the app. are safe from this problem.

But I expect someone will put us right ;-)

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Jul 2021 16:00

leave the phone with he App, at home....take the burner!!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Jul 2021 16:32

Don’t have the app, easy!

When people insist I use an app I just pull out my phone, sometimes I ask them to show me how to do it. The conversation never continues :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Jul 2021 23:36

My mobile is in my sister's name - so, no point in me having the app - could cause a bit of confusion, especially as she lives in Sussex, and I live in Hampshire! :-S

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 17 Jul 2021 00:53

I've just noticed that the government has possibly decided (there's positivity for you (sarcasm) ) that those in certain jobs (police, firefighters, supermarket staff and meat packers) who are 'pinged' could become exempt from staying home.
Makes you wonder how effective the 'Track & Trace' is (or has ever been), and
I wonder what happens if they really have covid and are too ill to work.
Will they be called shirkers?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Jul 2021 03:03

Well, it didn't seem very effective after Kate was pinged, had to isolate ....... having been double jabbed, and tested negative 4 times in the previous week.

Or the half-million that seem to be in (or supposed to be in) isolation right now.

It's quite simple for us, and 3 or 4 of our friends ............. we just do not have phones that can do the app. We all have flip phones of various vintages ................. one friend has one of the original small flip phones, still working after something like 20 years or so :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 17 Jul 2021 08:09

You can have the NHS app (which is the one that pings) and turn of contact and trace button. It is also I have seen not legally enforceable. However what is enforceable is if you are phoned an d contacted by NHS and that contact will be somewhere you signed in or used the phone to click on the QR code