General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Fifty Four years ago

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jul 2021 22:32

I was sorting some of my FH papers out a couple of days ago and came across a brief note that I received on leaving the Army Reserve.

This was not my full record, which I have sent off for (and still waiting), but a brief recap from the relevant CVHQ

I notice that I enlisted fifty four years ago this month.

However, this is not the point of the post :-(

The point is that very shortly after enlisting I met my OH...and the rest, as they say, is history :-D :-D :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 7 Jul 2021 22:55

And I bet she thought she was going to travel Europe on the forces’ coat-tail, Allan …… and look where you took her - much, much further! :-D

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jul 2021 23:03

We did get to see Bulgaria which, if the Authorities in either Country found out, could have led to me being in big trouble as travel to Warsaw Pact Countries was a big no-no for both Regulars and Reserve Force members :-D :-D

Living life on the wild side ;-) :-D

Kay

Kay Report 7 Jul 2021 23:27

And, according to a lot of your posts, you still are Allan!! :-) :-D ;-)

Allan

Allan Report 7 Jul 2021 23:35

It's the excitement, Kay ;-) :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Jul 2021 02:36

Congratulations, Allan (and Mrs Allan)

I met OH many years before, but we'll have been married 54 years next month ;-)

It took us a long time to decide that we were more than just good friends.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 8 Jul 2021 07:22

OH was just in the right place at the right time then Allan.
Did you meet because you had enlisted?

Back in 1990s OH was standing in Red Square, Moscow and could hardly believe that the Army had actually sent him there and were paying him to be somewhere that had been off limits for so long.

Allan

Allan Report 8 Jul 2021 10:29

Gwyn, our trip was in the early 1970's after we were married.

I actually met my OH in the Council office where I worked. She had taken the day off school and was acting as an interpreter for her mother who could speak very little English.

Her parents were Ukrainian, although by the time I met her her father had passed away. Ukrainian was the language spoken at home.

OH never learnt English until she started at Primary School