General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

That was interesting!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jul 2021 13:46

Just had a call about my NI number being illegal/compromised, or something, and my assetts being taken if I don't respond
As they'd disturbed the last few minutes of 'Rogue Justice' that I was listening to, and phoned on my 'pay as you go' , I decided to press '1' to talk to an operative

He alleged he was from the 'National Security Service', at which point I laughed, then let rip about scam calls, and told him where he could go (with many expletives).
He didn't cut me of - he responded in kind! The language! It was almost as bad as mine!! :-0
I then pointed out he'd just admitted it was a scam, and I'd now leave him lying on the table for a few hours. He kept calling,'madam' - I turned the radio up.

After a few minutes, he put the phone down his end - but I think I still have 'possession' of the line, as it hasn't gone back to the saver screen.

It seems a bit mean - it's his job, but then they're only thieves.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2021 14:00

Not mean at all

Karma. And stops then using the line to scam someone else

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 2 Jul 2021 14:24

I think, next time, if I can remain calm, I may ask what assetts they want, as I have no money., no car, and live in a rented house! :-D :-D

I could offer them one of the houses I own - but it would be dolls house, and all 4 of them are in a state of disrepair (that's what moving house does!), Or I could offer them books, and start naming every title until they cut me off. At a rough estimate, I have 1000ish books :-D :-D :-D

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2021 15:00

I am ex directory ,nos witheld and phone wont accept withheld nos

Also on tel preference

Has worked well for years with no scam calls but recently been getting them

Granddaughter answered the phone for a call and listening to her I was guestering nooo

She waved me off and went with it till she told em too pee off scammers

Thing is she works in banking and has several banking degrees and her specialty is scam accounts ,money laundering and online romance scams

Several times since I have had to block calls

Seems they now route calls through a uk landline that bypasses blocks

Most seem to originate from India :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Jul 2021 15:22

I was standing beside our main computer and explaining to some woman that she shouldn’t assume that everyone had the Internet (she explained it ran my wi fi) so then had to tell her that not everyone had Wi-fi - she gave up.

Unusually I wasn’t actually using the computer at the time. :-D

Florence61

Florence61 Report 2 Jul 2021 16:42

I have come to the conclusion that all these scammers have straw for brains! They must have to think that we would believe the rubbish that they are trying to tell us.

I spoke in a foreign language once, that hung up in a flash

Florence in the hebrides

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Jul 2021 16:54

Our email/broadband is BT.

Yesterday I had an email, supposedly from BT, telling me to agree to their new terms and conditions before 4pm, or my email woud be cut off!!

The thing that amused me was that BT had put it in Spam!! :-D

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 2 Jul 2021 18:17

Years ago my son answered the phone the other end asked if they could speak to Mr ..... son asked which one so they said the first name, which was him and he said you can't he is dead, which of course he isn't but they hung up. :-D

Caroline

Caroline Report 3 Jul 2021 02:39

I will tell them congratulations you've won a prize you're the 10th scam caller today. I ask them for their bank details so I can deposit the money directly to them. Sadly some of these workers aren't the brightest and whilst not giving me bank details some have been known to ask if they really have won a prize....

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 3 Jul 2021 19:36

Caroline - :-D :-D :-D