General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

All Will be Well - Julian of Norwich

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 14 Jun 2021 10:51

Especially for Dermot
BBC4 are reshowing this rivetting program first shown 2016.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07l6bd0

available on iPlayer

I was quite surprised that written English was up and running as early as 1326.

Sharron

Sharron Report 14 Jun 2021 10:56

Will this spark an ephemeral medieval interest in you as well, Rollo?

Oh what interesting conversations we can have

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 14 Jun 2021 11:36

Thank you Rollo. I’ll watch it on iPlayer sometime in the next few days. It sounds interesting

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 14 Jun 2021 12:26

I'll certainly watch it, Rollo, thank you.

The earliest family document I have (a copy of) is a land document written in English and it begins 'To All Xpian People' and mentions Mary the Queen Dowager. It is perfectly legible if not a little archaic in wording and with a sliver of one side torn off.

It has the seals of four people along the bottom of it and ends with 'William the Third by the Grace of God King of England Scotland France and Ireland Defender of the Faith ..... (and the date). (France! - that was a surprise.)

I know more of our family documents are held but my cousins and I are still checking everything before we request sight of them - but a 1326 one in English is something I'd love to have.

Edit: the document is dated 1696 - I forgot to put in the date.