General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

'The Story of Civilisation'.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dermot

Dermot Report 29 Apr 2021 12:57

While living & working in London in the late 1960s, I purchased a set of books under the title: of ‘The Story of Civilisation’, consisting of 32 volumes packed to the brim with historical details that would occasionally blow the reader’s mind, such was the quality of the research achieved by the American Author Will Durant (published in New York c.1935 -1963).

I had an aged aunt also residing in London at the time to whom I used to lend a volume or two as she too was a keen reader of anything ‘historical’. She sadly died in 1989 & whatever personal possessions she had were passed over to a local charity shop - which included a volume from the aforementioned set of history books. I thought that was the last time I would ever see the missing item.

Last week, I was browsing through some books in a charity shop in Exeter where I moved to in 1991. And there it was on its own standing forlorn on a shelf - the very volume ‘lost’ for so long. I was overwhelmed with the idea of having restored it to its rightful place on my bookshelf.

Happy days & happy re-reading. :-)

Sharron

Sharron Report 29 Apr 2021 13:25

There is a name for that isn't there?

An early nineteenth century log book for the Royal West Sussex Hospital in Chichester turned up on a London market stall but that is nothing like as spooky as yours.

Florence61

Florence61 Report 29 Apr 2021 17:29

Dermot, that is so amazing and so glad you have been reunited with the book.You must feel so delighted.

Sharon, thats amazing also and yes very spooky.

When i arrived here 28 years ago, there was a craft on in the town halll. I saw a box of old postcards and the first one i found was of a village close to where i lived in kent dated xmas 1926.I thought that was amazing.

Florence in the hebrides

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 29 Apr 2021 20:59

Serendipity - is that right?

Dermot, I am pleased you found it. I can imagine how you felt.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 29 Apr 2021 21:07

That's amazing :-D

Allan

Allan Report 29 Apr 2021 22:54

A year or so ago I purchased, from America, a postcard showing the hotel where my paternal grandparents were staying in Blackpool when they married in 1904.

The address of the hotel was shown as both of their place of residence on their marriage certificate.

Although the stamp has been removed, the postcard is from the same era.

It was sent to America by an American who was staying there :-S

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 30 Apr 2021 08:05

Yes Joy that is right, I was about to type it when I saw your post.

What a great find for you Dermot. Who knows if Aunty had a 'hand' in that. As you say Sharron spooky.