General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

They were not going to stay home

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Mar 2021 07:51

Once the temperature soared were they? Mail photographers had a field day yesterday on the beaches and in the parks. so, if in 14 days or so infection cases have not increased dramatically I suppose it could be the vaccinations. But, it looked to me that the majority of people in the crowds were the age group not yet vaccinated. What happened to the fact that it was a school day? I am sure a lot of them in the photos were of 6th form age (some lower).

Photos of people picnicking in parks though, it looked as though many were sticking to the distancing and groups of 6.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Mar 2021 08:08

Schools are closed for Easter here, Ann.

Personally, I think it would have made more sense not to open them until after the Easter holidays as, by then, there would have been more chance of some parents of school-aged children to have already had their first jab before their children went back to school.

We spent a lovely evening in the garden with our daughter and her family yesterday. They brought their own food and drinks and we sat suitably distanced while we chatted. Our grandson had spent the first day of his Easter holidays at cricket training. It felt much more like 'normal' times.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 31 Mar 2021 08:39

Some people are idiots but photos can be deceptive. On our local news yesterday they were showing Southend beach and it looked packed but the reporter said people were keeping their distance, then the camera moved in and swept round and the individual groups mostly sat about 2 metres apart. Still too many people for me!

I was going to say the same as JoyLouise - schools are on holiday. How lovely JL to enjoy time with your family. I am jealous as mine are too far away.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 31 Mar 2021 08:43

That is what it is all about Joylouise, family and friends in the garden. However, I forgot some schools will be closed, they didn't use to break up until the Thursday before when mine were young. Not sure if they are off here yet. Just looked they are not off until Thursday.

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 31 Mar 2021 09:17

They are damn stupid idiots, we have been jabbed but will still keep well away from those sort of places for a while.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 31 Mar 2021 09:19

That's late Ann, but perhaps they'll go back later than our schools.

Vera, we are luckier than some of my pals as our daughter lives very close by but, apart from seeing our granddaughter and partner last summer, we have not seen our son and the rest of his family for more than a year as they live further away and all have continued to worked throughout.

I hope it's not too long before you see yours.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 31 Mar 2021 11:49

And now the pictures are all the mess left behind.
:-P :-P to the lot of them.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Apr 2021 11:04

It always stuns me we I see rubbish strewn about - from the lonely water bottle to the mess seen yesterday,
Runners, you carried that bottle full of water - why are you incapable of carrying it, empty, until you find a bin?
As for the parks, the same theory applies.
You bought the food, drink etc to that spot, why is it so difficult to put the empty packaging back into the receptacle you bought it in, and take it home?

I don't think I've ever consciously told my children to leave a place so no-one knew they'd been there, but before they could walk, when they were in the pushchair, if they ate, say, a banana, when they'd finished, a hand holding the skin would be waved out of the side of the pushchair, for me to take - they never thought of dropping it on the floor!

I remember taking my eldest grand daughter for walks in a local park, with the pushchair.
She'd get out, to walk around, and start picking up rubbish and putting in the basket under the pushchair :-S
No-one had told her to do this - it drove her mum mad - but then, she wasn't too vigorously discouraged!

When grand daughter started working with the cubs, aged 14 - any cub who dropped rubbish - either at cubs, or if she saw them in the street, got an earful!! :-D :-D
She's now a trainee manager at a pub with a huge garden, and though less forceful than with the cubs, customers who drop rubbish in the garden are treated to a polite dose of sarcasm - and the owner loves her attitude!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 1 Apr 2021 11:14

Maggie
Your granddaughter's attitude at a young age reminds me of my grandson.
He must have been about 3 when we were out for a walk together and came across a group of about 6 youths kicking an empty soft drinks can along the road towards us.
They were a bit noisy, but not actually causing trouble.
Grandson had no qualms about confronting them and said
"I hope you're going to put that in the bin, when you've finished"
They said they would, ... and they did, because he turned round and watched until they did so.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 1 Apr 2021 15:40

I do find it very hard to understand the mentality of those who leave their rubbish around. Have they been brought up to not clear up after themselves I wonder. Is it any particular age group? or all age groups who visit a lovely clean beach and leave it full of their rubbish. Do they do that when they go abroad on holiday. I have not seen rubbish strewn to that quantity in Lanzarote. I just picture their homes, do they have to walk through piles of empty cans and pizza boxes etc to get in the door?

I wish they would erect cameras and trace and fine people for it.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 1 Apr 2021 15:49

Gwyn - :-D :-D :-D

Dermot

Dermot Report 1 Apr 2021 15:58

Meanwhile, the Dublin Midlands Hospital group has confirmed that 572 people did not attend their vaccination appointments at Citywest yesterday.

Out of the 1,329 scheduled slots, only 757 attended. :-S

BrianW

BrianW Report 4 Apr 2021 09:35

I'm with Maggie on this one.
The parks and beaches shown on telly looked as in NO-ONE had the decency to take their cans and food packaging away wth them.
Only one word for it DISGUSTING !!!!

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 4 Apr 2021 09:43

Dermot that is awful and so sad for those who wanted to have a vaccination and are still waiting. :-( :-(

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 4 Apr 2021 10:13

It is now being suggestion that young adults aka the woke generation, will be given the one off jab so they can get on with their lives.

Hasn’t stopped many of them so far.

Sharron

Sharron Report 4 Apr 2021 14:12

Well, here's a confession.

When I was van driving, if I had anything like banana skin, apple core, anything bio-degradable, in the van, I would put them in a brown paper bag (fruit usually came in one then) and chuck them in a ditch.