General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

*Chortle*

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Mar 2021 16:07

Had to laugh - Winchester University will be unveiling a £23,760 statue of Greta Thunberg on March 30.
However, many locals have said a statue to a more local person would have been better, and most opted for Kev, the Big Issue seller.

Kev really is a tonic, he makes people laugh as they stroll down the precinct.
He's no longer homeless, but whilst selling the 'Big Issue', he also raises money for charities.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9392651/Locals-slam-Winchester-Universitys-plan-erect-Greta-Thunberg-statue.html

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Mar 2021 16:23

I,ve seen him on South Today. Didn’t he get an award or something.?

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 23 Mar 2021 17:21

Nameslessone, he was nominated by the people of Winchester to switch the Christmas lights on, in 2017 :-D

Just like to add, the University has cut the number of lecturers, due to *checks notes* - lack of funding! :-S

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 23 Mar 2021 17:36

Rollo, I couldn't agree more - and I said as much yesterday ...

see the Bristol Unrest thread at 15:46 on 22 March.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 23 Mar 2021 17:36

Always money available for the unnecessary. :-P

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Mar 2021 08:59

nameslessone
You are so right.

Our local council have bought a castle and a racecourse as well as a large Debenhams store in recent times.- some with huge loans.

I wonder what services they won't be able to afford in the months / years to come?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Mar 2021 09:20

Do you think they'll convert Debenhams into apartments to rent, Gwyn? One of the larger empty stores in our small city was bought by the Uni and converted to student accommodation.

Our city's castle is also student accommodation now.

Another castle that was converted to offices where I worked before marriage was bought by a Local Authority after the offices were moved. It stood empty for years, being advertised as an ideal hotel site and the like - a white elephant whose upkeep was such that it began to look decrepit.

It was eventually bought by someone who turned it into his home but subdivided attached courtyard buildings for individual sale.

When the guy put his castle home on the market I took a look at online pics. He'd done a good job - if I could have afforded a few million I would have bought it as a holiday home! If only he'd reduced it to a million ;-) ;-)

It is now a hotel and I'm not sure whether it was converted by him or whether someone bought it from him. I'm also not sure whether it will be profitable but I'd take a punt on it going onto the market again.

Gwyn, a racecourse to boot! Will the LA operate it as such do you think, or will it become a sports and artistic venue?

You ratepayers are going to have to dig deep methinks!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Mar 2021 10:47

Apartmentsi in Winchester - now that is a whole other story ;-)

Did Greta ever visit Winchester?

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Mar 2021 10:56

Right off-piste aren't we! :-D

Back to the subject of statues.

Yesterday, I heard that someone wanted to erect a statue of Vera Lynn on the White Cliffs. Apart from any possible erosion, I find it ridiculous although some family spokesperson was in agreement, naturally.

She was a singer among many (such as Ann Shelton etc) but Vera got lucky with a particular song - so why her and not the lyricist and composer?

I am, of course, against any such statues to individuals, as I wrote previously, and in this instance there are many more worthy of being commemorated anyway.
What a stonking waste of money!

A music scholarship to aid underprivileged youngsters would be a more worthy cause, in my opinion.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Mar 2021 11:10

Nameslessone - no Greta has never visited Winchester!
I believe the 'powers that be' chose her because she is 'inspirational'.
But then, so is Kev - and he's local! :-D :-D

We have a recently 'built' (over an unused retail outlet) Travelodge in Winchester High Street :-S

JoyLouise, I so agree!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Mar 2021 11:18

MW- what happened with the affordable flats issue?

Having lived and worked in the area of the white cliffs in the past I don’t remember anyone saying we needed a memorial. What they really need is a King Canute figure holding back the tide of ........

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 24 Mar 2021 13:03

They've built some old people's flats with a warden, that are very expensive, with about 2 for 'the poor' to rent.
They've also built some on one of the Housing estates, and are contemplating building another load of flats on the one piece of greenery, on another estate
Where I used to live, there were once warden flats for the frail and elderly, but it was deemed too expensive, so the flats were rented out to people over 40, and the communal lounge was turned into a Food Bank.
Because, of course, why should the frail and elderly be entitled to a modicum of independent living? Much easier to put them in a care home.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Mar 2021 13:23

Maybe it was somewhere else. I thought it was Winchester that had agreed to flats in the centre with so many being affordable only for the builders to build them and refuse to make any affordable.

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 24 Mar 2021 14:08

names, her friends and family want it and the sculptor has already been chosen.

What an utter waste of money to stroke someone's ego, is what I think.

Although I am against statues, I can think of people much more worthy: an ordinary. soldier, sailor or airman, medics, home guards, land girls, Wallis Barnes, Monty, Turin, I could go on but you get the gist.

Amazing that the statue is going to help no one when a music scholarship or such could have helped many.

In a small coastal town (Seaham) in our region there is a beautiful statue as a memorial to WW1 forces of a tommy sitting. It sends shivers down your spine when seen in the flesh. A smaller memorial of a DLI soldier from the Korean War has been erected in our marketplace (Durham) too. No glory for one person there but acknowledgement of all who served during conflict.

Google Seaham Tommy and see if you agree with me. It is perfect as far as I am concerned.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 24 Mar 2021 14:59

You are right and they say it is close to the memorial so it is in the right place.

Allan

Allan Report 24 Mar 2021 21:09

What about the environmental impacts of creating such a statue.

Greta would not be impressed ;-)

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 25 Mar 2021 11:23

'Twould be hilarious if Greta grew up to be a bacon-butty loving, new-clothes-every-week, private-jet type of girl, wouldn't it! :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 30 Mar 2021 19:47

Saw it on the local news.
Oh thought he’d never seen her so animated. I had to look twice to see what she was doing with her finger.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 30 Mar 2021 21:36

That finger is crying out for unmentionables to be added!! :-D