General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Panic buying again!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2021 11:36

It is being said that the cost of Wine from Europe is going to soar from July. Which will probably mean shortages - meet you all down the offy then. ;-)

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Mar 2021 11:41

Drink to me only with thine eyes,
And I will pledge with mine;
Or leave a kiss within the cup,
And I'll not ask for wine.

The thirst that from the soul doth rise
Doth ask a drink divine;
But might I of Jove's nectar sip,
I would not change for thine. ;-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Mar 2021 11:50

Won't bother me either Joan, I don't drink and I'd rather have chocolate :-D

Kath. x

Maddie

Maddie Report 18 Mar 2021 11:53

buy British plenty of it :-D

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 18 Mar 2021 11:57

There is a new vineyard near to where my son works at Robin Hood's Bay. The owners will be well pleased if people start buying British :-)

Kath. x

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2021 12:55

Unti demand outstrips supply :-D

Maybe home wine making will take off again.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2021 14:28

A sense of humour is important, whether sober or drunk.

LindainHerriotCountry

LindainHerriotCountry Report 18 Mar 2021 14:49

Plenty of wine from other countries to fill the gap. I wouldn’t buy EU wine now, not that I am cross about them threatening to withhold our vaccines!
I rarely drink these days after losing so much weight with Slimming World, there are too many syns in wine which I would rather save for other things.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 18 Mar 2021 15:45

I don't drink wine from the EU so won't affect me. I much prefer white wine from the southern hemisphere ie South Africa, Australia and New Zealand :-D

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Mar 2021 15:50

The only time I have drunk Spanish wine is when I was in Spain. I never buy Spanish , French or German wine here, might buy Italian sometimes.

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Mar 2021 17:15

I keep a bottle of red and one of white for cooking.

Don't want to drink it.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Mar 2021 17:26

Like London Belle, I like wines form New Zealand and Australia, although I no longer can drink any alcohol.

There are also some excellent wines from Canada, especially from BC and Ontario ................ including Ice Wine.

And, you are supporting the Commonwealth when buying from those countries ;-)

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 18 Mar 2021 18:25

Don't often see Canadian Wines here Sylvia. Perhaps I don't look in the right shops. There are some decent wines from places like Chile. OH will be disappointed if his favourite French Red goes up in price much.

Dermot

Dermot Report 18 Mar 2021 19:10

"Don't panic Mr Mainwearing!" :-D

Allan

Allan Report 18 Mar 2021 20:31

Don't worry Folks, I've been panic drinking for years ;-) ;-)

Aussie Reds, of course, which is why there may be a shortage soon :-D :-D

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2021 20:37

:-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 18 Mar 2021 21:19

I may have to follow my granny's habit, and start making my own wine :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Mar 2021 22:19

Australian wines not very interesting ?????????????

Come now Rollo ............... that's a bit hard!

Wines from the Margaret River area can be superb. I really like the Sandalford ones, although I haven't had any recently.

Hunter Valley wines from NSW are the ones usually seen overseas ........ some excellent. But there are some good ones from around Mudgee,

A slight change from wines ........... the Pieter van Gent Winery near Mudgee produces a superb white port, Mudgee Pipeclay Wine Port, as well as a very smooth Tawny Port.

Then nip over to NZ.

The probable reason why you don't see so many wines from Australia, NZ, Canada, etc is protectionism .............. protect the UK wine industry and those in other EU countries.

It's why we, in Canada, see fewer of the OZ, NZ, S.Africa, and yes European wines.

I don't particularly like the US wines, and consider most of the California ones to be over-priced ............. there is actually one winery there whose owner always makes sure that his wines are priced higher than anyone else. He believes that sells his wine .......... pay a lot means you get the best ?????????????????

I'm intrigued by the winery near Robin Hood's Bay in Yorkshire ........ we've had wines from the original winery near Ascot.

BTW ................... I have visited those wine regions in Australia and NZ and tried the wines mentioned (plus many more!), and spent loads of money on BC wines.

I prefer the wines from the Okanagan Valley in BC to the Ontario wines, but I believe you rarely see those, as the Ontario Wine Board "got in first". There are some really good Pinot Gris whites and reds for the Okanagan.