General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just had a weird call .........

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Mar 2021 00:01

Man who said he was from the local Police department. young man had been arrested with a bag full of goods he'd bought, receipts and credit card in my name and identification giving my address and phone number. He told the police I had lent him my card.

I accused him of being a scam, but he gave me his name and rank and, eventually, the building he worked out off., but not his number. He said he didn't know much more than what he'd said because "his men" had arrested the young guy, and reported the information in to him.

I was on the phone for 10 or 15 minutes with him, trying to sort out if it was a scam call.

He didn't ask for any details, or for me to give him any numbers, just kept telling me to phone my bank or credit card company to find out, and get the card stopped.

I went online to check my card account. No action.

Phoned the special number for the credit card company 10 or so minutes later, having heard that sometimes scammers have sometimes managed to keep the line pen so that you actually end up talking back to them.

All seemed as normal, same questions being asked.

Lots of questions from the agent, and finally no action on my card since the last time I used it 2 weeks ago .......... but he's cancelled it and is issuing me with a new card.

Here's hoping it wasn't a new version of a scam!

Problem was, I was just falling asleep when the phone call came in, so I was pretty groggy for a few minutes!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Mar 2021 09:08

Very clever. Did you call the police and check the ‘officer’ out?

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Mar 2021 18:57

No I didn't, names ...................

I was actually sick most of yesterday, I had taken a prescription medication in the morning, one that I take "as needed", and for some reason, I got a very weird reaction to it.

I kept getting woozy and light-headed, and having to go and lie down.

I was awake from about 1 am to sometime after 4:30 am last night, and at some time I began to think that I should have done that! I'm only just beginning to think straight now at almost 11 am my time, but I intend to contact the police.

If it was a scam, they do need to know.

Fortunately, nothing seems to have happened with the bank accounts. Phew!

The other weird thing was that I realised in the middle of the night that the Credit Card agent asked extra questions about how many bank accounts did I have under my name, was there anyone else attached to any of the accounts, and finally where was/were the banks I used.

Not the usual "checking you are who you say you are" type of question!

Again, he didn't ask for any account numbers, or how much was in each one, and I only gave a general area where the bank was.

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 10 Mar 2021 22:07

I would be phoning the credit card company to check that you did really speak to them and they are sending you a new card. there are so many of these scams about now it does make you worry. Hope everything is ok.