General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Woman of substance?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2021 12:17

At the very beginning of the nineteenth century, one of the Green girls married a pipe-maker in Westminster. Later she married another one and died in a cholera outbreak, leaving a daughter, officially by the first husband but I have my doubts about that and the daughter inherited two properties in Lisson Grove.Well, that's not council is it?

Anyway, the daughter died in Pompey and left the properties to her two aunts.

I have been idly perusing Ancestry during lock-down and find that one of the aunts left her property, and I don't know what that consisted of, to another woman in the family who lived in Upper Brook Street and that's not council either is it?

Then, in a later census, I found another Green, who was born in Northamptonhie and was white collar to boot, living in Lisson Grove.

I can dream but wouldn't it be a bit alright to find that I am the only one entitled to some long lost will that entitles me to ownership of these two prestigious addresses.

Wouldn't be able to stay here because this IS council!

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Feb 2021 12:48

Ah... but would you be happy living somewhere other than your village?

Could always rent them out and spend the cash on pickles and patchwork though........

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Feb 2021 12:57

My dads maternal side were Dartnell,s and for many generations were barge builders on the Thames

There were Durtnell ,s who were Sirs and members of the court of Elizabeth 1st

Many changes of the spelling over the years so think my family must have been the wrong side of the blanket :-D

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 18 Feb 2021 13:07

Pop over to the front page of 'find ancestors' and see my thread on 'Wilsons. I've updated the end with the findings from 2 wills.

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2021 14:47

As a family, we do seem to have places where we swarm.

There were numerous family members in this village when I was born but there are not many now although , strangely, some have returned after a couple of generations. I discovered that there was another brother in that first generation who had a farm in Wymering too.
Several members of the family moved to that area, including a lady younger than myself who had no idea of the family connection wit the area.

i suppose it is possible that Lisson Grove was another of those swarming spots.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 18 Feb 2021 15:54

Whmdring near Cosham?

Sharron

Sharron Report 18 Feb 2021 17:10

Yes, we are out of Pompey.

Looks like he had Purbrook Farm.

China clay came in from Dorset through Porchester. Am thinking that might be how she became involved in the trade.