General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I'm back!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Feb 2021 18:57

It's only taken 12 days for Open Reach to get their act together - well, 21 if you count from when I first informed them, it also involved calling then every morning after a visit, or non-visit (we came, you weren't in - yes I was) to explain what had been done, what needed to be done, and whether 'being connected' meant I had a dialling tone, could dial a number, then got a hissing sound, and could get the internet - but nothing opened. It now works -but is so slow, I may have to take up knitting to fill the waiting time.
I shouldn't moan, my brother in Somerset has been waiting 14 months to be connected. He can get a phone signal in his flat in Williton - but his business (where he spends most of his time - particularly when he has pots in the kiln) is near Roadwater. They send him emails - then complain he hasn't answered them.
In the end,my sister became the 'go-between'.

Last month, she complained to the Ombudsman. One of BT/Open Reach's excuses was that they 'couldn't close the road in September, as it was a busy time, with tourists in Cornwall'!!! Firsttime I'd heard that Somerset is in Cornwall!
Besides which, there's a lovely woodland lane that could be taken as an alternative to this allegedly 'well used' (it isn't) lane that goes past my brother's workshop.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 16 Feb 2021 19:05

Put the flags out and pass round the champers. :-D :-D

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Feb 2021 19:27

Not yet! The internet randomly dies!! :-| :-| :-|

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 16 Feb 2021 19:30

Welcome back Maggie :-D

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Feb 2021 19:32

Nice to see you, to see you nice, Maggie. :-D

Bobtanian

Bobtanian Report 16 Feb 2021 19:37

welcome back.... its a bit like The Chase on here.....cant afford to lose too many participants!!!

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Feb 2021 19:48

Ah - the Chase. I haven't had a working TV since moving in, either!

JoyLouise

JoyLouise Report 16 Feb 2021 19:52

Maggie, I am working my way theough Foyles War. I saw some a few years ago but there are many more episodes that I have never seen.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 16 Feb 2021 21:17

Welcome almost back Maggie.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Feb 2021 21:21

Ann :-D :-D :-D
It 'died' for an hour.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Feb 2021 23:32

welcome back, maggie.xxx

It sounds as if you have a nice place.

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 16 Feb 2021 23:51

It's a 2 bedroomed bungalow, Sylvia, with a front and back garden!
If I hadn't accepted it, I'd have probably ended up in a flat - which the cats couldn't have coped with.
As it is, Betty's become bolder - possibly because there don't appear to be any other cats around. George has become very vocal - probably because I haven't put in a cat flap yet. I swear he now yowls 'Out'! :-D :-D :-S

Caroline

Caroline Report 17 Feb 2021 01:19

Glad to see you Maggie ....

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Feb 2021 03:41

Oh dear, a demanding cat!!!

JustGinnie

JustGinnie Report 18 Feb 2021 09:30

I hope you will be very happy in your new home. Maybe your new neighbours will be quieter and more pleasant to live by than your old ones. :-)

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 18 Feb 2021 10:39

I hope all is going well Maggie for you and your bolder cats and that you are managing to find a home for everything, .............. and can find it again.

Did you keep all your 'iconic' collection or is space at a premium now?