General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

novice need assistance please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Trevor

Trevor Report 7 Feb 2021 15:54

Hi All,
I am a Platinum member
I assumed I could get Birth & Death Certificates to print or do I have to go to the records office?
Any advice appreciated
Trevor

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 7 Feb 2021 16:08

Most people tend to have Standard membership and then access information elsewhere.

Some marriage information from parish records is identical to that found on a certificate and might be found on eg. Ancestry, but to obtain all the other full information you require, then you need to buy from the GRO site, at £11 a certificate.

Members on these boards are often willing to look on subscription sites to see if the information is available, just ask, with as much information as possible to make sure of locating the correct person.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 7 Feb 2021 16:44

Gwyn is quite right.

The GRO covers England and Wales only. For Scotland you would need to go to Scotland’s People. Ireland and NI have their own systems.

If you go to www.freebmd.org.uk you will be able to search and hopefully find the references you will need to be able to purchase certificates for England & Wales.

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 7 Feb 2021 17:36

Platinum GR is not the best buy in the world of familiy history.
Do nor forget that any records you do add to your tree eg census are time limited so make sure you create an offline copy.

PatinCyprus

PatinCyprus Report 7 Feb 2021 18:31

At GRO you can get PDFs for £7.00 of the older births and death certs. PDFs arrive in a few days.

Register on GRO - it's free. Go to the - Search the GRO Online Index

This will show you the births and death certs you can get via PDF. The PDF contains all the information that a paper cert. has but is not a legal document like the paper cert. It is ideal for family history.

GRO deaths have the ages at death showing and on and births prior to 1911 the mother's maiden name both very helpful when trying to order the correct one.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/menu.asp