General Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Changing the ribbon name

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sue

Sue Report 2 Feb 2021 10:09

Yes I am new and filling out the original forms I see on the top of page under the cookies the logo for Genes Reunited, Home ,Family Tree etc above that is GIFTS. ADD FEATURES, ACCOUNT , HELP, then ( OWNERS NAME OF TREE ) it is this I wish to change as it is shown as my maiden name OR is it suppose to be the maiden name?
I am very confused and wasted a whole morning trying to change but it seems impossible
Please advise this newbie
Sue Barnes (nee Strevens) :-)

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Feb 2021 10:18

It is down to what you put when you joined. You must have put your maiden name.
If you go into 'Account' you can see what names you used and change them if you want.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 2 Feb 2021 10:37

On the personal details it asks for both your current name and your birth surname, but it is the birth name that features at the top of the page, at least in my case, but you are the only one that will see that. I have just clicked on your name as though I were sending you a pm and you show as Sue Barnes

Edit. Just seen it’s your first post. Welcome to the boards. By the way, in case you don’t know, pm = personal message.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 2 Feb 2021 11:18

I have names as my first name, Nameslessone as my board name and full stops for other names.

Some of this was due to someone looking for my real name.

SuffolkVera

SuffolkVera Report 2 Feb 2021 11:24

I suppose I assumed when I joined 16 years ago that I had to fill all the form in “correctly” to be granted membership. I have made sure that anyone sending me a pm only sees my board name.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Feb 2021 12:21

There used to be an issue on these boards when if you sent a private message, then your maiden name was automatically shown on the private mail.
That led to people registering on here in the way that nameslessone has done.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Feb 2021 12:29

Our account is in my husband's name, so if I send a pm and sign it with my proper name, I have to add "wife of P..."!

LaGooner

LaGooner Report 2 Feb 2021 14:54

I don't use my real name anywhere on here due to having problems with a family member causing me problems and upset.

Island

Island Report 2 Feb 2021 15:40

I had to open the thread to find out what the ribbon is :-S
Sorreeee! :-D